Problems with DJI firmware update to 1.03.00.00 and DD

Solved it.
Firmware update had enabled IOC for some reason.
Spotted it when I was going through the setup step by step again.
Flew two missions in a howling gale today. Will see what we get.
Only gripe was the whole mapbox thing (NZ coverage is high altitude only) and a pesky Ag helicopter taking an interest in what was happening :stuck_out_tongue:

Chase, have you found any solution to DJI’s problem yet? Or have you heard anything about a possible fix? I’ve got a few mapping projects in about a month, so I’m curious what I should inform my clients for the time being (eg: cancel, postpone, etc.)

From what we’ve heard you should be good for your projects in a month. We are trying to work with them to make sure we have a version that supports anything they release soon so people can fly ASAP.

Hey Dion… so this works for you in NZ? Im dead keen to get cracking with DD… Do u have 1.03 FW?

Hi Tim.
Works like a charm in NZ on 1.03. Looks like the very latest (1.04?) firmware needs testing but 1.03 is fine.

Few things to watch out for though:
1.) DD uses Mapbox to backend their maps in the app. Has global cover BUT only at high altitudes in NZ. When you zoom in to layout your target area you lose everything but roads. Pain in rural areas. Not a deal breaker but a bit clunky. Sounds like that will be resolved soon though.
2.) make sure IOC is switched off (need to go into the DJI GO app for that). Will fail the preflight checks if it’s not.
3.) Make sure there’s nothing big and metallic near the aircraft when you try to start the DD flight. It’ll pass its checks and even tell you it’s taken off - but it won’t. The aircraft will be flagging a compass error but it’s not revealed in the DD app. I tried to run a mission from the hood of my truck and figured that one out the hard way.
Be careful if that happens as, once you get away from the metallic thing, the drone will happily go off and fly the mission (assuming you’re in auto mode on the remote). @jono Might be a good thing to add into the errors on that app if it’s not already on the list.

Other than that - couldn’t be easier. I’ve made great maps in 30knt, freezing cold winds. Very surprised at how well they came out.

Thanks Dion for your time to reply. Much appreciated. What do you use to stitch the images together for a map? Sorry Im not up to speed with the whole workflow. I thought 1.03 WAS the latest firmware… which I (rather stupidly) already installed.
Cheers, Tim

Looks like you’re right - I’m sure I got a popup on my remote on saturday about a new one.

You should be fine on that FW.

So - workflow is as follows:
(make sure you’re good to fly re the new laws btw. Default altitude is below the max legal but make sure you’re not mapping anyones property who might have beef with it. make sure you’re more than 4kms away from the nearest defined aerodrome boundary etc)
1.) Fire up phantom and DD app on your android device (plugged into the remote via USB). Make sure the DJI GO app is fully closed otherwise the DD app wont get access to the USB debug link.
2.) remote in right mode (A or F - can’t remember. ‘fully to the left’ on the flight mode selector thing).
3.) wait for the app to connect to the drone. Draw your little polygon thing around the area you want to map. There will be a default one centered on your home pos - just drag the little corners to the area you want to map (or leave it as is if you like).
4.) tap the little green icon bottom right. Checklist will go through it’s steps. If you have the remote in the wrong mode it will tell you.
5.) once it’s done its checks you’ll get a white plane in the green circle. Tap it to take off.
6.) drone will climb straight up to mission alt (246ft be default) then hoon around doing it’s thing.
7.) will return to home point at the end of the mission then go into auto land. If it’s coming down too close to something just flick it into P mode (selector to the right) on the remote and land it manually. Will hold it’s pos wherever you switched it so it’s safe to do so mid landing.
8.) rinse and repeat for any other maps you want to make (SD card capacity dependent).

After you’ve captured all your images I find it’s best to just stick the SD card into your laptop and upload the images direct to the site. Fast internet makes all the difference. I’ve belted up a few maps over 4G but it’s pretty greedy on the data front so do it at home if you can.

Login to the DD site with the same creds. you use for the forum. Follow your nose to upload the images. Your flights should be listed on the dashboard home screen - and have the option to upload the images if you haven’t yet. Once it’s done just wait for the map to be stitched in the cloud (thats really what drone deploy is all about). You’ll get an email when it’s done. Can take upwards of a few hrs during busy times but normally around 40mins to an hr.

We’re based in the Auckland CBD if you want to stop in for a quick run through.

D

Thanks again Dion, great instructions.
I see a small issue however… Im using the Inspire1… and when I open the App on my tablet it waits for a couple secs then switches briefly to a login page then crashes (closes the app)

Im just trying to get my Part 102 sorted with CAA to hopefully allow a bit more flexibilty.
Thanks for the offer to pop in, but located in Hawkes Bay

Cheers
Tim

Good luck with the 102.
You shouldn’t need it unless you intend to go higher (not ideal for mapping) or get closer to an airport.
I almost had a run in with a tourist chopper over the gimblett gravels down there last week - so don’t expect crewed aircraft to fly at sensible altitudes either.

Not sure re the inspire. make sure you’re on the latest .apk?

Great catch Dion, really appreciate you finding that out without hurting yourself! I’ll prioritize a way to look out for that as that’s potentially very dangerous…

Hi Tim, is the Pilot or Go app open when this happens? Unfortunately whichever is opened second between these two will crash repeatedly, and is outside our control. Something about unable to access USB resources locked by another app.

10 fully functioning digits seems like overkill anyway :smile:
I popped it out of auto into P mode before trying it from DJI GO - I’d like to say it was forward thinking but probably just habit - not sure if it would have executed a take off as soon as I lifted it off the hood in A mode though.
Maybe take the props off (pansie) or don some oven mitts (hero) and test that one out for yourself while leaving it in A mode with DD open to see what happens.
D

We have released an updated version. You can find details here:
http://forum.dronedeploy.com/t/beta-v10-release-dronedeploy-1-1-0/701/3

struggling to get anything happening really… …Go app is closed. DD opens and asks to login… 1/2 way through tapping out my email address… it crashes. Im using a standard samsung 8.4 tab . Pretty compatible and stable unit.

Does DD need an internet connection to run?.. During some of my attempts to run it… is comes up with an error saying connecting to dronedeploy … no internet connection

Very frustrating…
Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,

It does need an Internet connection The moment. That is one of the current things being worked on. If you see that warming it is because we haven’t been able to ping our servers during startup.

I’m not 100% sure that is why it is shutting down. Have you seen it shut down while connected to the Internet?

Hi all

Could not upgrade to RC to V01.04 so I used ‘link to the tool’ mentioned in this thread. Now I only have a red flash and beeping RC.
Anyone has an idea, how to fix this?

Hi Martin,
What do you mean when you refer to “link to the tool”?