Fix for larger waypoint missions and continue missions

I’m seeing reference to a log file on the uav but not the controller?

Could I talk you into giving me the lat/lon for the point before that one and the point after that one? Thanks.

last three waypoints:
lat: 39.6513671352, lng: -101.1275668768
lat: 39.6508611647, lng: -101.1274548874
lat: 39.6508611647, lng: -101.125047129

Found it:

http://goo.gl/maps/kPCeU

The pin is in case you would learn anything from it’s location.

After you have what you need, would you mind deleting locations from this thread? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

1 Like

I’m really glad you found it. Did it land safely? From our the logs I can see and the fact that you said it was beeping and had low battery makes me think it might have come down because of some failsafe or something.

I made a note to see if we can add more frequent updates to our flight logs to help with something like this in the future.

AC: P3 Pro
FW: 1.4.005
DD: 1.1.5
Alt: 390 ft.
High Overlap: On
Camera Setting: Auto
Area: 80 Acres
Interest: Corn Ortho Map

Flight: As expected but after about 5-10 minutes of flight I noticed a point on flight path screen showing up that was about two paths ahead of aircraft. Showed altitude of 390 ft. When battery reached 35% it auto flew home without me asking for AC to RTH which was frustrating as AC was over half way back to end waypoint and I should of had plenty of battery to get home. When I changed batteries and went into continue mission noticed dotted flight path showed mission completed up to the “ghost” dot that was showing on my screen which means the flight would probably have skipped two flight paths. First attempt to continue did nothing…no check list. Exited and tried again. Same thing with dotted lines showing more of flight path complete than actually flown. Checklist completed and when I pressed Takeoff app crashed. I decided not to attempt and again.

Update: After uploading via web and looking at flight path can see it was something messed up in how it handles HighOverlap setting. The path showing on web never showed within DD App it only showed path AC was flying it just showed more of it was complete when I tried to continue mission.

I think this is a problem with the fix. Can make a quick fix today as well as look at the other issues you had.

Thanks for this test. I think I can use the data to make a fix.

I’m pretty sure it’s alright although I have not had time to try it yet. It was upside down when I found it but nothing looked damaged. It would be nearly impossible to land in 7’ tall corn without crashing, but I doubt there are any real problems with it. If it fell out of the sky (which I doubt) the corn probably saved it by cushioning the impact.

I’m with Farmer Juan. Really need to make it so it does not quit on you when it gets low on battery. Wasting 20% of your battery every time will make it much less of a useful tool.

For those of us who are using this for crop scouting (and I can assure you, if you don’t already know, there is a large market of farmers out there waiting and watching to see how this turns out), the biggest factor is time. Acres per hour. Being able to plan a day out at home so we can be efficient, being able to make our own judgement calls on when the UAV needs to come home, how many times we need to upload images to get them to stitch right, etc etc. All of these things add up.

I would like to be able to do no less than 125 acres per hour on average throughout an 8 hour day including traveling between fields, switching batteries, uploading images from the previous field while it’s in the process of flying a different flight, etc.

Sounds good. I was going to try to fly another map this afternoon, would you rather I wait until you can issue a fix? Thanks Chase.

-Jon

I’ll try to get something out ASAP. If you do a continue mission now I’m sure you’ll see the same issue.

That’s what I was assuming. I’ll wait until you have a new version out.

It looks like it came back early due to the fix for loading large number of waypoints. We stop it at 25 so that it succeeds more often for people. I can up it to 30. We also now add a waypoint at the midpoint if the length is greater than 700 meters between two waypoints to get around another DJI restriction with waypoints.

Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly: if the flight path is longer than 700 meters one pass of the flight path would have 3 way points (2 Ends and a Middle). Most every map I would do would include a path 700 meters long if my math is correct just under 1/2 mile. I’ve found in order to get successful stitches I’m probably going to need to do high overlap especially on corn fields. The map I did today was 80 acres it looked like it was going to fly 13 paths with HighOverlap setting and maxing my altitude so this would likely have been 39 waypoints…is this thinking correct?

My question going forward would be that it is probably imperative that DJI remove whatever restrictions they have on waypoints because in order to do a larger map 160 acres plus I would need 75+ waypoints more than likely.

Well, you can have continue missions with more waypoints but we only send a subset of those since it is unlikely to reach the end by the time the battery is exhausted.

I get it. Understood. So the mission ends when it hits 30 waypoints going forward…2nd flight would end when it hits the 60th waypoint…etc.

Yeah. It’s the best solution I’ve been able to find right now. I’ve spoken with DJI but it isn’t clear why some of the waypoint data seems to get corrupted if we send too many. They don’t do any sort of retries or anything in their SDK which would be the best solution.

Alright. 1.1.6 is now in the beta channel of the store. Should hopefully fix some of the issues seen today. @FarmerJuan the issue with continue mission checklists not appearing I think has to do with internet connectivity when clicking start mission. If it is at all spotty it can mess up. This will be fixed very soon with our new offline changes. Instead of failing when something like that happens it will just queue up information that it needs to send to our servers.

I was going to try to map the whole golf course today ~120A with a high overlap to try continue mission for the first time. The mission wouldn’t load and wanted me to restart the app. I didn’t try it again because of the mixed results everyone has had with continue mission. I will give it a try again tomorrow if I have time. On the battery, could you lower the thresholds in the DJI GO app and prevent a return to home until a lower %? I get lost in what app controls what, but sincethe camera gets set in GO, maybe the battery RTH would too?

I will try it out tomorrow Chase. Thanks.

@Hoover_Agronomy From the way Chase explained…it wasn’t an issue of the battery % that caused the AC to return but rather the limit they have coded in for the # of waypoints they load. From the sounds of it he is upping the number from 25 waypoints to 30 waypoints. When mine returned it had hit the 25th waypoint. I’m thinking the 30 will be sufficient as I was only going to hit one more waypoint before I manually RTH.