Weird issue with DroneDeploy and DJI Mavic 3E

I was flying a DJI Mavic 3E yesterday and encountered an issue that I have never had before and wonder if others have encountered it.

After the drone completed the second or third to last flight line, it just stopped in the air and hovered. After sitting there for a couple of minutes (admittedly, I got impatient), I had it return to home. After this, I resumed the flight and it completed the mission.

I had a second mission and the same thing happened, but earlier in the mission. I had it return to home, then had it resume. After completing another flight line or two, it did it again. I repeated the return to home/resume mission and this happened two or three more times.

There was a DD update, which I just did AFTER these flights, but don’t know if that is related. Or, perhaps I was just being a bit impatient and had I waited a little longer the mission would have continued.

Anyone experience something similar? If so, suggestions on avoiding it in the future?

2 Likes

I have a similar issue and have not been able to figure it out. Hoping someone on here has some insight. In my case, the M3E will typically stop and just hover right before the end of a planned flight. I have tried returning to home, and then continuing the mission, but the drone will return to the same spot and continue to hover without taking any photos.

I am on the latest firmware for both the controller and drone.

1 Like

@tfagin @jblairjr

Was it sunny when it stopped initially? Possible OA issue…
Were either of you using RTK? I have seen a loss of satellites/RTK cause a stoppage.

@MichaelL It has happened while both cloudy and sunny outside. I maintained 14-16 satellite connections on my remote during the flight. I went back through a couple of the flight logs, and it does not seem like there was any satellite/RTK loss.

1 Like

@MichaelL As well, I fly the same 6 mapping flights per week, and it always seems to happen on the same two flight paths.

Seems to rule out environmental conditions. I bring it up because I have seen OA stop a drone and then a cloud would fly over and it would resume. Never seen that in DroneDeploy but theoretically it could happen. The M3E is still very new to them and the fact that they still haven’t released at least manual flight shows how well they’ve integrated so far. I was really surprised how quickly they got RTK working but even that is on their terms.