P4P v2 Test Picture Always Fails

Everytime I fly a missions, test picture always fails. I hit retry and it goes through without any issue…does this happen with anyone else? I tried using my iPad and iPhone with same result.

Also, do you recommend letting DD app set camera parameters or should they be set manually from DJI app?

1 Like

I have this problem on every flight as well. The test picture always fails and then works when you hit “retry”. Anyone have an idea or fix for this. It is not detrimental to the flights as in the end it has worked every time but there is also that initial failure.

I am using the most current version of DD and am running an iPad with the current software updates.

1 Like

Same here. If you are in version 4.9 then please post there as well. Always watch out for the version threads.

We’ve also had this issue for as long as I can remember using our P4P V2 with all versions of DD on an iPad with current OS. Retry has been working, but it fails on every initial attempt.

Sadly, it isn’t just iPad. It is any iOS device. They really need to work on optimizing their app. It is definitely the largest memory hog I have used. I would love to keep using it, but unfortunately it overheats my iPad Pro and my iPhone. I don’t have issues with any other app, except this one. Other mapping apps do not have this issue. It actually gets so hot that it is almost uncomfortable to touch. Obviously, that is not good for any electronics which is the reason I can’t use it anymore. No point damaging my device when I can just use another app :slight_smile: I really wish they would fix theirs though because it has a lot of great potential.

1 Like

Updated the iOS app the other day to test it out. I did not notice any difference. Previous Issues persist. Another issue I have noticed is when the drone is transitioning from a vertical to horizontal or perimeter it flies at the mapping speed. I think the software could be optimized to fly at a higher speed during the transitions or be intelligent enough to start the next command closer to where the previous ended. I literally wasted close to 5 minutes of flying time just in transitions.

1 Like

Checking in on this because of another issue we have noticed that may be related.

When did this start happening? If you notice in DroneDeploy that in the Advanced settings at the bottom it has an option to pick which camera you are planning with. We notice that it always defaults to a Mavic 2 Pro and the numbers change when we select Phantom 4 Pro v2. We can keep an eye on both.

https://forum.dronedeploy.com/t/planning-camera-fly-menu/15828/4

We just started testing DD last month. Been an issue Since day 1 for us

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I am not sure when this became an option… @Jamespipe @Andrew_Fraser Regarding the added option to choose a camera for planning. See the other thread above.

Thanks - will ask the team and see if we can reproduce.

1 Like

Just downloaded 4.13.0

All of the previous issues still persist.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. What configuration for internet connectivity are you running? I had the problem when on the iPAD Mini 5 cellular-only. I then hotspotted to my phone and it became inconsistent, but did work sometimes. Both radios off was a disaster and half the UI didn’t load, probably because I don’t do any offline. WiFi-only was about the same as cellular. Unfortunately for testing mine started working flawlessly with cellular-only connectivity on v4.12. I will run v4.13 on Monday.

@Andrew_Fraser @Jamespipe Have you seen any instances of DD not updating on iPads? It doesn’t auto-update, but it also does not even show up as an update in the App Store on iOS 13.6. I have to go into the App Store and search for it before I see there is an update.

*and actually when I did pull it up on the App Store the preview icon showed open. It wasn’t until I actually clicked on it that it prompted for an update. I backed out to the search results and it then showed update as well. No other apps that I have do this.

I actually had it connected directly to the home Wi-Fi

1 Like

…and the device doesn’t have cellular? Or it was off? Did you try the iPad Pro and the iPhone? What model is your iPhone?

Despite the fact that many of us have the same end problem there are too many configurations to be able to say what the most likely cause is. We don’t even know that it is connectivity related, but the fact that it appeared when all the connectivity issues started occurring is noteworthy.

I have same issues on WiFi and when airplane is on. Did not try cellular. iPad Pro 11 and iPhone 7+

2 Likes

Have we heard any more on this? I did an update this morning and thought it updated but it held 4.12.0. I just went back in and looked and Poof another update. Auto Update does not seem to work on the iPad. Kind of frustrating that it won’t / doesn’t update.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing the same thing with the DroneDeploy app behavior in the App Store. My camera quit failing at v4.12 when whatever they did apparently made the PreFlight checklist work correctly. It actually seems to be faster now than what it was before it broke a couple versions ago.