Won't Launch! Old iPad will. New iPad Won't!

Drone Issue 1/2024…

I’ve got 2 iPads. The new one, Mini 6th Gen, has been working great since purchase a few years ago! Last mission was December 27th. No issues.

Jan. 5th…

Launch DJI Go.

Flew Manual with no issues.

Launch DD and pre-created mission. Checklist all green. Push FLY. Nothing.

Tried iPhone XR. Same issue. No launch.

Created same mission on Ground Station Pro. Same issue but…

GSP states “Unknown Error (code: 180)” and “Unknown Motor Error (100005)

Uploaded latest Firmware!

Power cycled many times.

Deleted and re-uploaded all apps - DJI Go, GSP, DroneDeploy

DD and GSP do not allow flight. DD does NOT give any errors in checklist.

When Hovering GSP allows flight. DD does NOT allow flight when hovering and gives errors “Invalid Plan. Mission exceeds maximum radius set in DJI Go.” and then “Invalid Plan. Mission exceeds maximum altitude set in DJI Go.”

Double checked and increased maximum altitude in DJI Go to be above DD max setting of 400’. DJI Go was set to 400.2’.

Calibrated at home on Laptop with Assistant 2.

Double checked iOS and Updated to latest on new iPad. No change in flight attempt.

Tried switching discs. Negative.

——————

Tried OLD iPAD Mini 4 with iOS 15.8 - IT WORKED!!! Tested a few time. It works.

Question…

Why does it NOT work on newer iPad?

Oh, and I have no other apps in the new iPad other than the default Apple apps and DJI, GSP, DD and Airmap - same as when it WAS working.

Thanks in advance!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update: I got it to work!!!
I boiled it all down to some glitch between my new iPad and DD. The drone is fine. DJI Go 4 is fine.

So, I completely reset the iPad. I proceeded with “erase all contact and settings” and started from scratch with the iPad. I dowloaded all necessary apps. I then flew manual. No problem as usual. Then I landed, quit DJI Go 4, launched DD, pulled up the same mission that didn’t work yesterday. It went through the check list and BOOM fired up the rotors and up and away it went!!! Landed and tested again. No issues!!! It’s a great day.

I hope this helps someone. Have a fantastic day. I know I am!!!

3 Likes

Great to hear you were able to figure this out, sorry for the delay here!

1 Like

Glad you got it working. However, I have similar problems during multi-battery flights almost every time I fly in the last year or so. DD won’t report any errors at all and the drone motors won’t spin up but I can manually launch the drone. When this happens I start up DJI Go 4 and sometimes it shows a meaningful error and sometimes it doesn’t. The last two missions it report “obstacle” but there were no obstacles close to the drone (not even me) and the drone was landing on the pad in the same location, it’s also reported that I needed to calibrate the camera and one or two others that I don’t recall. If I close and restart DD and the DJI app enough times and maybe restart the tablet I can usually get the drone to continue the mapping mission. The process usually burns up 20 to 30 minutes of daylight and sometimes I just give up. I sure wish DD would report the reason why it won’t launch the drone.

Sorry, I forgot to add that when this happens I have even swapped out drones and controllers so it appears to be a software DD/DJI Go 4 issue to me. On one flight I started with controller #1 and drone #1, swapped to controller #2 and drone #2 for two batteries and then swapped back to drone #1 and controller #1. Somewhere along the line one of the on/offs and program restarts must have got it working.

2 Likes

It seems like your battery is cooked. Apple Store is not gonna be able to to much for anywhere near a reasonable price, if at all. Probably take to Apple Store for diagnosis, but get battery replaced 3rd party if that’s the issue. Fairly certain it’s not the nand as it wouldn’t even show that basic sign of life, so your data should be safe.

1 Like

It seems like your battery is cooked. Apple Store is not gonna be able to to much for anywhere near a reasonable price, if at all. Probably take to Apple Store for diagnosis, but get battery replaced 3rd party if that’s the issue. Fairly certain it’s not the nand as it wouldn’t even show that basic sign of life, so your data should be safe.
9apps apk

Well, I’ve got 9 batteries and I provably tried almost half of them that day. But thank you.