User Map Shares

Please share your maps so we can all learn from each other.

Here are a couple of maps I flew yesterday.

http://www.dronedeploy.com/app2/data/5a71ebcb895d16bbe45ec176;jwt_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJ0eXBlIjoiUmVhZE9ubHlQbGFuIiwiaWQiOiI1YTcxZWJjYjg5NWQxNmJiZTQ1ZWMxNzYiLCJleHAiOjI1MzQwMjMwMDc5OX0.VHHoOn6ccDtKydp_-TyP91xaNCEaB1UNmWNwhywG2aCNG_IwmtDfZ-b4_Y3Nbz4z8n_ptd29O8tR01Saybr8jA

http://www.dronedeploy.com/app2/data/5a70799589596df53040ad29;jwt_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJ0eXBlIjoiUmVhZE9ubHlQbGFuIiwiaWQiOiI1YTcwNzk5NTg5NTk2ZGY1MzA0MGFkMjkiLCJleHAiOjI1MzQwMjMwMDc5OX0.4IEKCfpDZt_frz45lhL9tC_JcjRDGD_CMgOL_9S_Hbu3rY2EYI4CsH-061CLz4BDaBWqyTNXVr8prbUTBmGxYQ

http://www.dronedeploy.com/app2/data/5a723997c5ae0e83686b216c;jwt_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJ0eXBlIjoiUmVhZE9ubHlQbGFuIiwiaWQiOiI1YTcyMzk5N2M1YWUwZTgzNjg2YjIxNmMiLCJleHAiOjI1MzQwMjMwMDc5OX0.iWGxmq_GAZv9L8WV7SfS5Dfw-TvBOIU9ZBleXCwrln2FRBeU6cWUE6BV-QAFyHn9WVCCMrb5sstxtF3V94dfFA

1 Like

Love it, @chascoadmin! :raised_hands:

Hi Chascoadmin (again!)

Great maps!

What altitude did you produce the first map at and the which overlap settings did you use?

I’m still very new to drone piloting, I flew an area yesterday (see link below)

http://www.dronedeploy.com/app2/data/5a6f7f3c58fd75ee5adf3784;jwt_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJ0eXBlIjoiUmVhZE9ubHlQbGFuIiwiaWQiOiI1YTZmN2YzYzU4ZmQ3NWVlNWFkZjM3ODQiLCJleHAiOjI1MzQwMjMwMDc5OX0.LkooWpNBid1NKz4upBuOIp3P5JxwiUfJY7z3VN2K6E_q1vlbXqacsyaStKQeHUjW8mO2JMULyWLYraRSNYvGoQ

As you can see some of the roads on the left side of my flight path kind of warped badly, and the few maps I’ve flown, the aerials never seem to handle the edges of roof tops very well (if you look at the roofs in the map above you will see my point) however, the individual images prior to stitching seem fine.

I fly with the default camera settings on the Mavic Pro, and in regards to DroneDeploy I’ve flown at 250-300 ft and seem to have this issue in all of the 4 flights I’ve currently done.

It’s wierd because some areas of my map have amazing clarity, is this just a technically limitation of the Mavic Pro, or do you think its something that I might be doing (or not doing).

Great maps!

@LukeEdAllen Nice map, thanks for sharing! I particularly like that it has a golf course in it… always wanted to shoot one just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Pedernales is flown at 270’ with 65% side and 70% front laps. I normally fly at 250’, but this one has so much elevation change across it that when I take off from a point that I can see the whole site the terrain drops about 60’ on one end and rises 140’ on the other effectively making it 130’ from ground at that point.

As for your map, you probably want to put in another run on the outside of you east and west roads. If I fly a straight roadway I usually go up one ROW and down the other unless I need to get some feature outside of the roadway. The roof tops are a casualty of the orthomosaic process. You are basically seeing the deformation from the 3D aspect of the map. If you were to use the structure mode or manually take some image around the buildings looking down about 60deg they will clean up some, but will never look like the native image. I would suggest 20-30 shots (every 15deg) around the perimeter.

@Christina, any thoughts?

Hi @LukeEdAllen,

Thanks for sharing your map - I think your map processed quite well! As @chascoadmin suggested, I would also recommend flying another pass to the west where the roads may not have aligned properly. However, it is important to note that linear artifacts is a known problem with photogrammetric stitching. Our vision team is currently working on a way to rectify and stitch lines properly (particularly for rooftops and sometimes, lines on the road). We have made some progress, but it is still in beta testing. If you’d like, I can try to reprocess your map with an experimental processing pipeline, but I cannot guarantee the map will improve. Let me know if you’d like to proceed. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hi @Stephanie - sure go ahead! :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback!

No problem at all! I went ahead and started reprocessing your map. You’ll receive a completion email when the map is complete. Hope it helps!

Paloma Lake Section 25 Drone Asbuilt Survey

Let’s see some more maps!

@Stephanie, how did @LukeEdAllen 's map reprocess come out?

Here’s my first full map using the Linear Mapping app. To date I have been flying linear (roadway) missions with Litchi. Came out pretty good, but some things to note. First thing you will notice is that the striping appears wavy. This has never happened with Litchi maps. Also, the flight was 21 minutes long which is 8 minutes faster than it would have been with the traditional flight path, but is still 7 minutes longer than my Litchi mission. One cause is the inability to start the mission at a midpoint of the project (see this post) which means that home base was in the middle of the project and the first and last waypoints were at the southwest end of the roadway. To add to this inefficiency, the drone flew to the first waypoint and returned from the last at the speed o the mission which was slow because of the high overlap settings. At very least it would be nice if the drone could run at full speed before and after the mission. Thanks all! @manu @Jamespipe @Anya

Georgetown Inner Loop Improvements Map

1 Like

Hi @chascoadmin,

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I’ll relay it over to our app development and product team. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Christina

Georgetown, Texas Williams Elementary School built in 1923 being transformed into the GISD Administration hub.

1 Like

As-built of a project we did back in the day of digital cameras with floppy disks. Been waiting to shoot this one.

Canyon at Wild Basin