Unable to connect to a P3 Advanced

Summary of Issue:
Is anybody out there flying a P3 Advanced, or any of the Phantom 3 series, with Drone Deploy? Is it working? Are you having any problems connecting? Is there anything special you had to do initially the first time you connected? I have been trying for weeks, and have done every piece of troubleshooting I can find, including: clearing the default open settings in both apps, down charging all my batteries, checking that all firmware and apps are up to date. I’ve tried with a wifi connection and saved the map to fly without wifi…

It just won’t connect to the drone when I’m out in the field… And I’ve been told different things by different Drone Deploy workers, I don’t know what to believe…

What else am I missing? or is this model just too old and outdated any more?

Drone Model:
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced
Mobile Device Model and OS version:
Nvidia Shield K1

Have you moved your toggle switch to F? Or is it you are not connecting at all?

I’ve tried moving it back and forth. Do you switch it to F while DJI Go is still on, then close that app and open DD? Or do you switch to F after you’ve switched app? Or does that matter? It seems like it shouldn’t, but I’ve tried switching it back and forth…

When you have made a connection, what changes on the app? I’m assuming it’s a button on the bottom right where the save button is? Or the option for the simulator goes away?

I switch it after I switch to DD. There should also be a box on the bottom that will tell you the drone is connected. If that is there the push the the checklist bottom on the right side of the app on the bottom. It will then go through a check list. When the check list is completed the icon will change and will have a flashing ring around it. Press it and the drone will take off on its own

Is anybody out there flying a P3 Advanced, or any of the Phantom 3 series, with Drone Deploy? Is it working? Are you having any problems connecting? Is there anything special you had to do initially the first time you connected? I have been trying for weeks, and have done every piece of troubleshooting I can find, including: clearing the default open settings in both apps, down charging all my batteries, checking that all firmware and apps are up to date. I’ve tried with a wifi connection and saved the map to fly without wifi…

It just won’t connect to the drone when I’m out in the field… And I’ve been told different things by different Drone Deploy experts, I don’t know what to believe…

What else am I missing? or is this model just too old and outdated any more?

Hi @Riley_Feez,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with your drone not connecting with our software. Can you share some more details about your issue?

1. Are you seeing an error message? If so, please let me know what error messages you’re seeing.
  2. What is the make and model of your mobile device? Is it listed on our page of Supported Devices (Mobile and Tablet)? Please note that if your device is not listed on this page there is no guarantee that your device will or should work without issue.

Keep me posted,
Christina

Christing,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I’m not seeing any error messages of any kind… I’m just not seeing anything change indicating it has connected. It just keeps offering to fly the simulator in the bottom left of the screen, and then the butyon to save the map on the bottom right… But I don’t see an option anywhere to fly the drone, or an indication that the drone is connected. But also no Error Message…

2. My device is on the list of Android devices that is officially supported: Nvidia Shield K1.

As is the Phantom 3 Advanced model…

Ya I’m not seeing any of that… No box telling me it has a connection, no check list… But I have been switching it to F mode like you are…

Any more idea’s?

Hi @Riley_Feez,

Have you tried replacing the USB cable by any chance?

Keep me posted,
Christina

Sorry Christina not Christing,

The cable from remote to tablet? I have not tried that, I’ll give that a shot. But it seems to have a connection since the dji go app works properly…

But I’ll try anything.

If you can somehow record a video of what you’re doing step-by-step, it would help me and my team greatly in understanding what’s going on, but let me know if the swapping out the USB cable helps.

Have you also tried reformatting your SD card?

That’s a great idea. I’ll film and narrate the whole thing. and yes I reformat the sd card every time I try it… Normally every flight.

Riley, yes, I’ve used a P3Pro and P3Adv for about 2 years with Drone Deploy, Using an iPad mini4 without too many issues. A hiccup once in a while but it works generally very well.

If you have access to an iPad, it might be worth a shot just to see if it’s any better. In general, the iPad has worked better with the drone than the previous android device I had. Though I don’t remember if I was doing DD then or just manual flights.

And the cable suggestion is a good one - definitely could be the culprit.

Other thing, many times, when switching between DJI GO and DD apps, you need to close the GO app, and disconnect the usb, then reconnect and it then open DD. That hasn’t been a problem for a while but worth checking.

Good luck!
Mark