Adding planar features in DD

It would be great if there were some way to add a plane within DroneDeploy. This could be done in the 3d model or even in the orthomosaic and elevation views, if you could add a plan at a select elevation you would be able to see how much land is above that plane and then work out volume calculations for cut and fill type earthworks works.

I export the 3D model OBJ file to Rhino and do this. Many other external tools can do this also. Have you considered this option?

Regards,
Terry.

I agree and I believe it is on the books, but probably not one of the hot ticket items. Doing volume progression from an arbitrary source takes something like Rhino or Civil Engineering CAD to do correctly. Just to make sure I get you straight… You want to be able to set a plane at say, 500’ for say, a building pad and be able to calculate volumes to achieve. Sounds like estimating software to me… What’s your use-case?

Hi MichaelL ,Im looking at doing the same thing, Im very new to DD and have only completed a handful of maps at this stage. Im competent in working volumes of stockpiles but am looking at offering clients volume calculations where they want a specific area filled to a certain level. Am i able to do this with a Pro subscription? or do I need to upgrade or look at a Marketapp?

1 Like

Yes, you should be able to use the custom elevation plane the same way in all plan levels except that the Lite (Pro) level cannot use the 3D viewer for annotations like the Individual (Business) and Enterprise levels.

Anyone hasn’t noticed the structuring of the plan levels has changed a little bit and there is now a per project level called Teams. I’m sure it will be clarified at the conference but this sounds like good news for a lot of smaller mappers that like to carry a couple of clients with inconsistent flight schedules.

Thanks for your prompt response MicaelL. For me to use the custom elevation am I to fly the project with enhanced 3D enabled? Because it doesn’t come up as an option when choosing Model. I’ll have to upgrade to Business plan probably?

1 Like