3D model quality

Hello,

I have created a 3D model using GCP’s on drone deploy within the business package, that processed today and has now run out! I am back on the free version and i’m looking at the 3D model, its not as high quality as I hoped, not good enough for my client. Could this be because I am viewing this through the free version or simply because the quality is just low. Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Joshua

2 Likes

I have recently joined the free version of Drone Deploy and have done four flights with my DJI Phantom 4 Pro on one of my projects. My interest was to capture and view the DroneDeploy 3D model quality. The first flight 3D results was poor quality with wavy and swirling edges. I changed my camera settings for the three other flights, ISO, aperture and shutter and the results was the same, wavey edges and swirling distortion. I am obviously doing something wrong. I would highly appreciate advice guiding me in the right direction. Kindest Regards. Terry

Try flying at 150’ to 200’ elevation over the highest point of you site and using 80% front and side overlaps. I use automatic camera settings and fly slowly (9 mph) on cloudy days. I get better results on cloudy days due to the more uniform lighting.

I will set up my next flight with your provided details. Finding a cloudy day this time of the year in my region of South Africa is few and far between. I am mindful that I may just run out of my free version time if I wait too long for a cloudy day and hope for a quality 3D model result.

I will keep you posted. Thank you for your prompt response to my request for information, highly appreciated.

Regards.

Terry

Sunny days work for many cases. My case is a little special as I am mapping 1000 tall trees which are very difficult for the photogrammetry program to turn into a good model that captures the tree tops. Fly as slow as reasonable, just fast enough to keep the mission down to 1 battery.

Be aware that on the free plan you get 5 maps in one month, which is measured as the last 30 days not calendar month. In order to help you learn what good mission parameters are for your site, if you over run the 5 limit, I can process a few missions for you while you wait for the next 30-day window to start. Just send me a link to the photos.

Regards,
Terry in Oregon.

If you are on the free version the resolution is very low so the quantity of points for the model will be very low. If you are looking for a good 3D model then you will want to use an oblique camera angle. Can you share a screenshot of limit (flight plan)?

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Discussing Exposure strategy

Hi Terry,

Thank you very much for your kind offer to process my latest Drone flight data for a 3D model. I completed my latest onsite flight this morning, South African time. I tried to upload my latest mission to DroneDeploy but a notice came up indicating that I have reached my limit of 5 maps for the month.

I am in the process of uploading my latest Drone flight images (167) to Dropbox. Once the Dropbox upload is completed, I will then send you the link to download. Will the Dropbox link work for you?

Regards.

Terry

1 Like

When you send the link I will give it a try and let you know if there is a problem.

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

Hi Terry,

I have sent you the Dropbox link to download my Drone flight data for a 3D model map.

Let me know if you received the Dropbox link.

Regards.

Terry February

1 Like

Look in your messages for my reply.

1 Like

Hi Terry,

My e-mail address is the following; terryf@worldonline.co.za. When you send me your e-mail address, I will send you the Dropbox link to download my Drone flight data for a 3D model map.

Regards.

Terry February, Accredited in Public Relations

Terry February Photography

Cell: 084 624 7799

e-mail: terryf@worldonline.co.za

https://terryfebruaryphotography.pixieset.com

https://terryf7.wixsite.com/mysite-1

https://www.instagram.com/terryfebruaryphotography/

Member Public Relations Institute of South Africa

Registered member of the Supply Chain Network community.

Level 1 B-BBEE Contributor

Stare, it’s a way to educate your eyes. Pry, listen, eavesdrop, die knowing something. You are not here long.

1 Like

Awesome collaboration! A testament to the forum!