Volume Calcs with Rhino

Hi @SolarBarn
I have a Volume calculation in my latest map. It is shaped as a cone, some 3090 sq meters (0,309 ha) big at the base. The highest point is some 6, 5 meters above ground. Dronedeploy is calculating the volume to be some 12000 cubic meters. Differs some 300 cubic meters if I switch from Triangulated to Linear fit
You were using McNeel’s Rhino 6 in a posting to me july 1 this summer. I downloaded a free 30 day trial of the software in order to get an average height of my cone, but no way I can figure out how i should get the Average height as you did in the posting.
Do you know of any tutorials out ther I could use?

R

I did not use native Rhino tools to do the volume calculation. I wrote my own script to perform this function. I can send you the script if you want to give it a try. Just pm me with your email and I can sent it as an attachment.

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

That would be nice. If I manage to execute the script, of course…
roger@humanteknologi.se.

Thanks for your help

@SolarBarn. Please let me know if there was any problems with the given mail adress…

Rgds Roger

Sorry, got caught up over on the Rhino Forum helping solve some problems. I will start working on this for you today. I need to practice with the script as I have not run it in awhile. Then I will document the steps for measuring volumes so hopefully it will be easier for you to use.
Are you using a Windows machine? It may run on a Mac but I have not tested it.

I sent you the script and a writeup.
Hope they arrived.

Regards,
Terry.

Recieved along with a nice tutorial. I got stuck in a place and posted a reply to Barbara.
Basically: I can’t get a clear rendering. It looks like this:

Do I have to tell you that neither the yellow nor the gray areas are there IRL…

If you send me a link to your .OBJ file, I will see if I can get it to import and work with the script.

Regards,
Terry.

https://web1.storegate.com/share/ApffkR6
BTW: There are two .OBJ files in the download:
scene_mesh_decimated_textured.obj and
scene_mesh_textured.obj.

Can’t tell the diference. Exactly the same size. I 'll upload both…

Give it some 15 minutes to upload…

R

Ahhh… Forgot to add the JPG:s to the DL – directory. There now… :blush:

I see the files and they are downloading now. Going to take awhile, its going at 0.25 MB/sec and there looks to be around 1 GB of data. So maybe an hour from now. The mesh itself is pretty small, only 122 MB which is tiny compared to the 2 GB .OBJ files I routinely load into Rhino. So I am hopeful that Rhino can handle it.

Regards,
Terry.

We’ll see tomorrow. Off to bed in my part of the world.

R

Rhino was able to import the mesh (see below). It has some issues with degenerate and overlapping faces. I am working on modifying my script to deal with these. It may take me a day or two to get this sorted so we can start making volume measurements.

Regards,
Terry.

Looks perfect imho. Did you find any explanation to the UFO:s in yellow and gray hoovering over my 'TIF? You see: I hadn’t even tried your script when these occured…

R

The yellow is due to clicking on the mesh causing one of the 17 meshes to be selected which displays in yellow. The grey I do not understand.

There are 17 meshes because the texturing is broken into 17 .jpg files which can only be applied to one mesh at a time. For my script to work as written, the next step is to join all the meshes together so that volumes can be measured. I have another script that does this and I plan on integrating that functionality into the one I sent you. Or I could send you the second script as it does profiles and color elevation maps in addition to importing the .OBJ file.

Regards,
Terry.

Send me the second script. That would be nice! :slight_smile:

The grey field in displayed as soon as I click on the map. The Yellow field “hoovering” over the map has a grey field with the same shape.

But… I really do nor nderstand how this is supposed to work. Initially, after I’ve imported the OBJ into Rhino it looks perfect. As soon as I click on it (which i believe I must to work with it) it gets destroyed.
How can I tilt, zoom and so if i cannot click on it…

R

This happens in Carlson P3D sometimes because the program puts a bounding box around the point cloud and mesh. Does it do the same thing with a single click and a click-and-hold? Right-click and wheel-click?

Do not worry about this behavior. My next script will combine all the meshes into one and then we will be able to work with it. I have most of it working now for your case. I should finish it soon. Below shows an example of running the updated script. Is this what you wanted?

Here is another view that uses the second script to make an elevation map with the colors adjusted to highlight the log piles. Using this view can help you place the boundary curve around each pile.

I will finish testing the scripts and send them to you tomorrow.

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

Looks really nice!..
Looking forward to it. Along with a tutorial on how to get it to work? :wink:

R

The yellow patterns show when i left – click and goes back to normal when i right – click. If I left-click and hold I can drag the yellow pattern around and this leaves a grey ”hole” on the surface shaped exactly as the yellow area i just moved away…

image001.png

R