Phantom 4 RTK

So the Mavic 2 Pro is a Phantom killer right? Nah… Is the U.S. really this far behind? I guess that’s an advantage to being 1000 miles closer to China…

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://gisuser.com/2018/10/strabag-deploys-the-phantom-4-rtk-for-construction-surveying-to-create-precise-3d-models/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYAioTNzQxNTIxNjQ0MzQwMzc4NDQxMDIaMDM5MDgwYTQzZjgzYzZlMjpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNEQR4Efmkz6YVjuYny8W7kDlY8RLQ

I saw this a few days ago and have been investigating. So far it looks like the real deal. I sent a PM to DD to see when they anticipated support but have not heard back yet. The controller uses what looks like a CrystalSky display and it’s own special version of GO4 to plan and execute RTK mapping missions. No DD iPad app for this drone. Not sure if that’s a good thing since I have had pretty good luck overall with DD mission control. Certainly interested though as eliminating the time and expense of GCP’s is a biggy. One thing’s for sure, for DJI to build a custom bird just for mapping shows just how big this industry is and is going to be.

It has been officially announced and it looks like it will have both controller options moreso compatible with the Pro V2. It won’t alleviate the need for GCP’s, but will cut them way down. That’s if you are looking for survey grade accuracy. I run 12 on 50 acres and then only need 3 or 4 for basic triangulation reasons.

Crap! Just when I start to feel confident with my brand new Trimble Catalyst system - DJI makes it obsolete. OK, maybe not completely…at $10K for the package, the Phantom 4 RTK will cause me to get some use out of my investment in Trimble. However, the Trimble Catalyst subscription cost to get cm-level accuracy is $300/month. That cost plus the time and effort to get GCPs will force me to consider the long-term costs versus the upfront investment in the Phantom 4 RTK.

Furthermore - how does the Phantom 4 RTK fit into the DD ecosystem with the additional capabilities being built into their platform?? What’s an entrepreneur to do??

1 Like

I’m sure there will be some differences, but since we already have the V2 supported it shouldn’t be much. Everyone should know that the $9k pricetag includes the GPS base station. They should also know that just because it has a base station doesn’t mean that you will be able to localize with your site control so you will still need some GCPs. The exception would be if DroneDeploy can develop a system for onscreen GCPs similar to the elevation calibration It would need to be at least 3 points though in my recommendation.

Michael, how many acres with 3 GCP’s?

Depends on the actual experienced accuracy of the RTK, but if it does what I think then 3 or 4 could probably get close to 40ac. Would depend a little on the shape of the site to so that they are spaced evenly. I currently do 10-15 on 50ac sites.

There is confusion about the pricing. I have been quoted $7500 US for the combo which aligns with posted pricing in Europe. Note that this example of 7.800,00 € includes 19% VAT that will not be added in the US.

Time will sort it out.

https://www.globe-flight.de/DJI-Phantom-4-RTK-D-RTK-2-Mobile-Station-Combo

1 Like

@Dave Thanks for this. Mine was with tax and shipping, but I have yet to hear back from DJI on my preorder. I am also working with Emlid to see if one of my receivers can be used instead of their base to cut the cost, but I fear it’s probably a proprietary connect and would probably be better to run it over OccuSync anyway.

@MichaelL I am anxious to see some real user reports of how the P4 RTK performs so I look forward to your and other’s reviews. Geo Cue (the manufacturer of the Loki system) has said they have 2 on order to test as well.

I figure if anything it will cut about 30% of my gcps that I put down just for accuracy when I don’t absolutely need them. Some sites I need 2 cm accuracy and some are 5 to 10, but I still have to put down the GCPs to ensure that. Being able to gather more accurate camera locations and using the calibrate elevation tool will pay for itself pretty quickly even if it doesn’t do what I hope it does.

Hi MichaeIL
did you have try reach rs or rs+ as base to connect with P4RTK via NTRIP?

I don’t have the P4RTK yet, but have built a P4 with the Emlid Reach M+ that I am starting testing on. I plan on getting the P4RTK, but since I had a spare bird and the survey equipment I’ll try that first.

https://forum.dronedeploy.com/t/phantom-4-emlid-rtk-ppk/11686

I would be interested in the flight time difference between your regular P4P and Emlid Reach M+ P4P.

Regards,
Terry.

Me too. I am estimating about a 15% loss in flight time so my single battery should be about 50 acres.

I am sitting here with 2 RTK drones and 1 base station. I am unable to get the drone in the air or for it to be unlocked. Has anyone had any luck in the states?

1 Like

Unable to get it to takeoff because it is a restricted area?

download updated DJI assistant from Phantom 4 RTK product page on DJI website, you can activate using that. It was the only way I could get it to activate.

1 Like

I feel as though the built-in screen won’t let me do anything.
It says I need to update software. Then I do. Then it says that the software update is not the right version.

Attached is the message I keep on getting. It did not come with a dongle, so I am unsure of how to proceed.

Firmware