Import Point-Cloud to Grass-Gis

Hello dronedeploy community,

Actually I’m working for a research project with point data, that were exported from dronedeploy one year ago.
Unfortunately processing the exported LAS-files is quit challenging, as there are some issues with the file format.
My aim is to import the data into Grass-GIS to process it there with a special fragmentation tool. But till now I was not able to import it… So I’m thought I will ask for some help in this community.

I tried to process the data with several tools, like lidR package in R-Studio and LAStools. First I had to change the projection with las2las to a appropriate one, to be able to display it correctly in these tools. Now I can do further processing with the data, like creating a grid. By the way these grids are located correctly, when loading them to a GIS-application. So coordinates seem to be correctly. Anyway loading the point-data to Grass-GIS (with v.in.lidar tool) fails, because the points are in a wrong location/projection. Has someone an idea, how to change my pointclouds in a format every other software can read?

Additionally lidR-Package has a problem with the attribute type, because they are not an unsigned integer. I could solve this with a little cumbersome trick, but if some has a hint for this problem too, I’ll be very happy!

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

What version of QGIS are you on?

What was going wrong with LASTools?

Are you sure your export, QGIS project and layers were all on the same CRS?

What is the size of your LAS? Sometimes point clouds are rather large and if you don’t have the memory to spool it it will crash with no discernible error. Similar to printing the spool file can be 2-3x the file size.

My QGis versions are 3.4.14 & 3.10.2. With Grass-Gis I’m on version 7.8.2.

Without changing the target projection the Point data can’t be displayed (in every tool). I think this is due the scale factor of the original file (see screenshot). They are around 1e-008.lasexport
I could solve this by changing the target projection.

My Problem now is to load the data in Grass-GIS. I’m quite sure to have the same CRS. Grass-GIS Displays an error, when you load a file in a Different CRS. And yes, my Point Cloud is quit big (10.000.000 Points), but for now I’m just working with a small Region (500.000) to test it.

My Problem no is to load the data in Grass-GIS. I’m quit sure to have the same CRS. Grass-GIS Displays an error, when you load a file in a Different CRS. And yes, my Point Cloud is quit big (10.000.000 Points), but for now I’m just working with a small Region (500.000) to test it.

1 Like

Got it. I know Lidartools (which LAStools is dependent on) was not ported for QGIS 3 so that what I was getting at. 10M points isn’t all that big so if you have at least 16GB of RAM you shouldn’t have any problems, but considering you are having problems with a 500 point subset then we know that combined with the scaling issue that it’s probably not your plug-ins. Have you tried downloading and importing an XYZ version?

You might try PDAL.
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/v.in.pdal.html