Import AutoCAD DXF or DWG file

Good morning,

I regularly use the “Overlays” option to import PNG files created from AutoCAD (plot PDF then convert to PNG) in order to view project linework over the orthophoto displayed in DroneDeploy. As those that have used this capability are aware, it is a “best fit” process that yields results that are good enough for general viewing but that are not geometrically precise.

Given that DroneDeploy is capable of exporting GeoTiff’s for a specific coordinate system and that AutoCAD can accept on a specified grid with it’s Map 3D capability, would it not be possible to reverse the process and have DD be capable of accepting DWG or DXF files on the WGS84 grid? This would allow project line files to be placed precisely without any distortion or placement error.

Thanks for you consideration,

Steve

3 Likes

Nice to have backup!

1 Like

Hello Michael,
Can you please help me with work flow to add DWG files to DD ? I use DWG the most and it will really help.
Many thanks in advance

2 Likes

Not sure how I missed this but if you are still interested…

We print our DWG’s as PDF’s from AutoCAD using DWGtoPDF. The nice thing about this options is that it preserves all the layers and coloring so the PDF itself is also useful for reasons other than the overlay.

What software do you have available?