3D Orthomosaic

I flew a flight path with cross hatch at 200 feet and 65% overlap. The 2D came out fine but the sides of the building did not come out fine at all. There was some shadowing being in the middle of the day and all. My questions is why did the sides come out so bad and if I were to stick a filter on the lens for polarization would this help at all. The building was not big at all and flight was 7 minutes and I had plenty of overlap. Can you clarify on this please!

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Would you mind linking to the project in question? or adding a screenshot? have you contacted support?

In order to reconstruct the walls of the buildings, you need multiple high quality photos of the side of each building.

One way to achieve this is by flying in a crosshatch pattern, using the “Enhanced 3D” toggle in DroneDeploy.

More information here: https://help.dronedeploy.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500004964162-3D-Models

James

1 Like

Hi James,

Yes of course project 7307.

Tom

Hi James,

I still have not heard back on this. I stated in my previous email, I flew a crosshatch pattern with enhanced 3D. This is why I am asking why it did not work.

Here is the link Click Here!

I would appreciate feedback on this. Grant that works for you told me to email you and you guys would provide feedback on this. I am trying to get these clients and this is not acceptable!

You can have someone call me and explain this if that helps as well!

Thanks,

Tom
281-772-1708

1 Like

Hi Tom,

This is a good reconstruction, given the input imagery. The photos of the walls are taken from an oblique angle, 200ft above the roof. You would need to fly much lower - 100ft or less, to see an improvement, or take a variety of manual shots from a lower altitude (on the same day/time).

I’ve added a second flight plan with (Recommended) as an example on the project. This includes an expanded boundary and lower flight altitude to give better views of the sides. It will capture about 2x as many images.

James

2 Likes

Hi Tom,
Have you had better success with your 3d maps on the sides of buildings? I fly 2-3 times per week and have a pretty good workflow to achieve better than average results in the construction field.
Let me know!
David

2 Likes