Rough edges to buildings

I map a lot of sites containing buildings, such as school estates and factory sites. While the ground features are usually clear and sharp, straight-line building edges, such as roof edges and gutters, are usually ragged and wavy. Why does this happen, and is there anything I can do to straighten out roof edges?

My first suggestion would be to run the enhanced 3D mode with just the cross hatch. Overlaps should be about 70%. If there are several buildings with little space in between them you probably want to run a standard nadir flight as well, but when you run cross hatch it cancels that so you will need an additional mission plan. Your AGL should be the height of the tallest structure plus at least 100 ft in order to get proper overlaps.

1 Like

Thanks Michael. I don’t know how significant it is, but I fly a Yuneec drone, and use the Yuneec Datapilot planning software. I understand that DroneDeploy doesn’t really support Yuneec cameras.
I fly cross-hatch every time, at 100 feet above the rooftops. Maybe I need some obliques also?

I am flying a unique H520E RTK and just manually upload the images to DroneDeploy. What you’ll want to do is put a waypoint in front of the survey tab and set the camera pitch to about 60° and run your same cross hatch. If you feel that you’re not getting good ground points in between structures then just copy the flight plan, turn off refly at 90 and take out the waypoint. I’m on my phone so apologies for any grammar errors, lol.

1 Like

That’s really useful advice. Thanks, I’ll try that.

1 Like