No Fly Zones

Andrea could you please enable NFZ for my account?, thank you!

Could you please enable NFZ for my account as well? Thank you

Hi all,

As per our Restricted Areas/No Fly Zones support page:

Flying in a No Fly Zone/Restricted Zone in the DroneDeploy app is not currently possible. To describe what is happening as far as No Fly Zone: DJI’s SDK is unreliable in that it will not effectively communicate with our app to set waypoints so you can launch your flight. We have been trying to implement a reliable feature that will allow users to fly in No Fly Zones (NFZ restriction feature). However, we are experiencing issues with this from the DJI side. We are currently in talks with DJI and they acknowledge this issue with their SDK.

This affects DJI SDK 4.4 and lower (which is the latest SDK version at the time of this writing).

Using the DJI GO app, users are able to fly when unlocked. However, this is not the case for the DroneDeploy app.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi there! Hoping to use DD for a project in a DJI nfz. I’ve already unlocked it with DJI but DD stops at the border. Can you unlock it for me on your end? Thanks!

Hi @Nathan_Strout,

Please see my post just above yours. We cannot guarantee that this will work so we are no longer unlocking this feature for individuals at the moment.

Cheers,
Christina

OK… Interesting discussion… Then how is DD going to work in the context of the FAA LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability) initiative and roll out? It will be implemented in my area Sept 13, 2018. It is my understanding that an app like AirMap will allow me to get authorization quickly, but then how does this then ENABLE DD to work after approved?

My name is Chris Devins. I am new to Drone Deploy and am testing it out within maybe 3 miles of O Hare airport in Chicago. If the test works, I will be purchasing the Business package. I will be flying at 200 feet or below.

Can you enable the NFZ permission for my Trial Account? And also explain to me where DJI Geo is so I can make sure I can take off.

Chris Devins
chrisdevinscreative

Hi @Chris_Devins_Creativ,

As per our Restricted Areas/No Fly Zones support page:

Flying in a No Fly Zone/Restricted Zone in the DroneDeploy app is not currently possible. To describe what is happening as far as No Fly Zone: DJI’s SDK is unreliable in that it will not effectively communicate with our app to set waypoints so you can launch your flight. We have been trying to implement a reliable feature that will allow users to fly in No Fly Zones (NFZ restriction feature). However, we are experiencing issues with this from the DJI side. We are currently in talks with DJI and they acknowledge this issue with their SDK.

This affects DJI SDK 4.4 and lower (which is the latest SDK version at the time of this writing).

Using the DJI GO app, users are able to fly when unlocked. However, this is not the case for the DroneDeploy app.

Cheers,
Christina

Ok, thank you. I actually checked the NFZ map and thingsI90%20and%20IL%2053%20intechange%20ramp%20No%20Fly%20Zone%20Proximity%20map%201 worked out. The flight will occur right outside the Zone.

Great to hear, @Chris_Devins_Creativ! Happy flying and mapping. :slight_smile:

This is a DJI problem, not a Drone Deploy problem. DJI has chosen to restrict gov’t certified operators. Best to take them to task for this decision. DJI could easily disable the geo-fencing with verification. But they currently feel it is in their best interest to NOT do that. Yet they send out emails to enterprise customers telling us that they are doing such a great job working with pro users on geo-fencing. Huh?? I guess they think if they say it enough it must be true.

It is frustrating but it is DJI’s problem not DD, or Litchi, or Map Pilot, etc.

Okay, end of rant! (I know you DD support folks have wanted to say this but can’t ! :wink: )

Flying within 5 miles of an airport can be done safely and legally. I would not recommend it unless you know exactly what you are doing and have some what to listen to ATC. If you are flying lucid within 5 miles of the airport you must let The control tower know of your intentions

I also need to be unlocked. Same circumstance: cleared through DJI GO, but Drone Deploy would not let me fly. Is this the proper way to make a request?

Hello Andrea i have the same Issue, the NFZ is unlocked by DJI since i asked for permission, also i have permission from airport in Toncontin and Air Force to fly, though Drone Deploy does not let me fly

Hello, i am having the same issue, i’ve unlocked the DJI NFZ from an airports permit but the Drone Deploy app does not recognize it, even though on the DJI app it says it is unlocked

Hello, @Carlos_Andres_Veliz I replied via email. I have turned on your feature flag but there is no guarantee it will work due to the unreliability of the DJI SDK. Please do reach out if you have any more questions or comments. Always willing to troubleshoot further!

deleted post …

Thank you for doing this Andrea.

Hello,
Could you enable the NFZ feature on my account as well?

@Andrea @Yusuf Can you enable the NFZ feature on my account as well? Thank you.