Compatibility with the Mavic air 2

Because that is not the way truly safe autonomous flight works. In your line of thinking why doesn’t Litchi, Hangar, Maps Made Easy, Measure, Propeller or Pix4D do it… Because it’s a huge liability and there are idiots out there that don’t fly safely. Who are they going to turn to when they start crashing drones? The flight solution provider. You really need to read about the total impact of virtual sticks and not just the potential for complete loss of control in order to understand why it’s not a good idea and why at some point the FAA will probably disallow it. You sure as heck are going to get a BVLOS, FOP or Night waiver if they know that is your flight planning solution.

1 Like

Finally bought DRONELINK for testing if it works.

Was looking forward to DroneDeploy. But why wait when there’s an alternative which works with MA2.

Wish me Luck

What for you using app. If use for mapping write me your expiriance.
Thanks
I try to fly with Drone Harmony, and its ok, but they have only montly plans for about 40-50$ per month, and that is to expensive for me…

I’ve done 2 missions with the DRONELINK and it seems to work perfectly with my MA2.

NOTE: I had to use Pix4D Cloud to stitch my photos.

I think Dronelink is the very best solution available out there for the MA2. and it’s very Cheap (20 Bucks)

1 Like

Ouch. I feel for the people that just bought the standard MA2…

DJI went to all that trouble and it still doesn’t have true waypoint capability.

1 Like

Is the dronelink using virtual joystick or actual waypoint?

1 Like

Virtual sticks. Everything is for now. Maybe this new release and camera will push it along a little.

The Air 2S firmware will not support waypoint missions via the DJI SDK, so we will not be able to support. We recommend the Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro for commercial use in standard cases.

Of course you will still be able to upload the photos for processing or inspection, we support all drone cameras, but will have to fly manually.

2 Likes

I am mapping with the MA2 using Dronelink.

But I have a question. What’ll happen if the connection is lost?
Will my drone also be lost? Or will it RTH when used with DJI FLY?

I would hope that your failsafe settings from DJI Fly app, if there is such a setting. It is usually land/hover/RTH. That said, anything could happen and a fly-away could definitely happen.

That sounds Frightening :cold_face: :cold_face:

I think that’s probably the worst case scenario but if you stay within VLOS regulations and the specifications of the drone then it would be less likely and you would at least have a chance to recover.

1 Like

Successfully sold my MA2 and got the P4 Pro V2.0 with 3extra batteries and a charging hub. Let’s see how this one does the job.

3 Likes

I was considering buying Dronelink to use for mapping with my MA2 but it sounds like you gave it a go and ended up selling the drone? Was it not sufficient for your photogrammetry uses?
I hope it would support forelap % and sidelap %, elevation, etc.

2 Likes

Bro It really does a great job with the MA2 whereas the best mapping platforms don’t support the MA2. you can give it a try. But if you have an opportunity to sell the drone, definitely but M2 Pro.

Yes the P4 is the best choice but you won’t buy the drone for mapping only. ** You can’t take cinematic shots manually with the P4** I’ve tried my best to take some cinematics but it’s controls aren’t like the Mavic ones.

1 Like

What do you think the difference is? Is the P4 just harder to fly? I have never flown a Mavic but I don’t have any problems with smooth manual video on a P4. Seems more like a piloting preference.

Hi, thanks both. I checked and it looks like Dronelink for mapping (coverage of a polygon with overlapping photos for photogrammetry) is one-time $100. I’m trying to determine if there’s a refund policy right now before I invest that much in this software for a UAV that isn’t ideal for photogrammetry.
Most of my study areas are small so I’m not too worried about losing contact with the drone due to virtual sticks. He does make the point that it also requires a pretty good controller (recent phone or tablet) because the software is having to do all the navigating on-board.

I just started using Dronelink with a Mavic Air 2 and a smart controller. I also have used it with a Mavic Pro, MP Radio & Google Pixel 5.
I don’t think there’s a refund policy, I think it’s just one guy mostly, so if the worst happens you could pull heart strings, I guess.
I don’t think you’ll want a refund. The mapping is super-easy to set-up, though I would recommend lowering the stock speeds (to like 8mph.)
As for “losing link” … I did a massive, 100 acres covered in trees, and had a ton of disconnections. It’s frustrating because the mission stops, and because the space is so massive, it took a while to re-load, but it did reload and it resumes where it left off. I was racing sunlight and batteries, so it was pretty stressful when connection was lost, because it would be about 40 seconds to a minute until it would resume, but it felt like an hour.
In the app, it’s just a matter of hitting the play button and waiting. I knew my location was not ideal, so I was prepared for that. Eventually I re-positioned and finished the end of the mission flawlessly.
As long as your stock setting for disconnection is return-to-home (set in DJI GoFly), the disconnection isn’t an issue, worst case, the craft will return to home. best case, it resumes connection and you tell it to resume the mission.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s got a pucker factor there but I’m glad it worked out. How did it maintain battery for so long or did you just return it home quickly? Dronelink will work with the Mavic Mini (2) as well right?