How To - Use GeoSetter to Update Photos GPS MetaData (PPK Processing)

What is GeoSetter? GeoSetter is a 3rd party application that is used to update the GPS MetaData for a photo in a batch processing environment.

What does GeoSetter Update? It will up the Longitude/Latitude/Elevation for a photo.

How does GeoStter Update a Photo? It uses a GPX file that is created using another software called RTKPost which is part of the RTKLib Software

The screen layout will be slightly different since I moved the Image Preview to the lower right. This doesn’t affect how the application runs.

GeoSetter Settings are shown below the Step By Step Instructions (this is only done once)

The following is a Step By Step Instructions for GeoSetter:

Main Window

1. Select the path of where your photos are located
    GeoSetter%20-%20Menu

2. Once the path is set then you will see all the photos in that directory

3. When you click on a photo it will be displayed in the Image Preview window
    GeoSetter%20-%20Preview

4. GeoSetter will read the Geo MetaData and locate them on the Map area

5. The next step is to Select the GPX file to be used for the batch processing of the photos
    GeoSetter%20-%20Tracks

6. Once the GPX is selected, the map will show the flight path as well as the CORS Station being used for PPK processing

7. Select All the Photos - Ctrl + A
    (MUST SELECT ALL PHOTOS YOU WANT TO UPDATE)

8. Click the Edit Menu, Click Synchronize with GPS Data Files…

9. Set the following options and then Click OK

10. Click Yes
    GeoSetter%20-%20Synchronize%20with%20GPS%20Data%20Files3

11. It may take some time during the processing of the photos. Once done it will show the Pin Locations of each photo that was processed

12. The Magenta Color signifies the Photos have been changed but not saved

13. Click the Edit Menu, Click Save Changes of Selected Images

14. Once the Images are saved the Image background turns Grey

15. Your photos are now complete and can be uploaded to DroneDeploy for processing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeoSetter GPS Synchronization Report

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeoSetter Settings

Here are the options I used in the Settings

1 Like

Thanks G, great write-up! I’m going to cross-reference this for the folks that use the Emlid or like GNSS systems. With systems like these and the emlid version of rtklib you will receive a POS file that has event time works in it. This allows you to perfectly match up any given image to its specific event instead of looking at the entire track. I currently use it both ways. My Phantom 4 Pro with the Emlid kit creates events, but my Yuneec H520 kit does not and I use the full track to retag.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah I’m trying to write these How To’s for the masses vs the one off’ers. I need to revisit the RTKLIB post I did and clean it up to be more generic if I can. I reference the P4RTK because the website I used referenced it, ok ok I fly a P4RTK geee lol.

I think I can use your input from the drones you fly as well as others (Non DJI types) and come up with a generic enough write-up to where you have to provide these files (anyway you can get them) and then use these steps to process the PPK to get this output.

In the RTKLIB I went in to detail on how to use the Excel spreadsheet, which is good to have but GeoSetter is much easier and using RTKPOST with a few clicks and your done is much easier way.

Honestly, I think what you have is great. The only variables are the different drones, but mostly because of gnss hardware. The terms for raw log and needing to get them into the Rinex format in order to get the POS file is universal to RTKLIB so it just depends on the beginning file format and whether you are using a base of your own or a CORS site, but that is for the other thread. Once you get to Geosetter it’s all the same.

1 Like