Drone Heading Alignment

Running a mission right now and I can easily tell that the Drone is turning about 15° West as it travels along the line. The first quarter of the line is pretty good and then it starts to rotate through the second and third quarters. It starts coming back at the fourth quarter and is a line correctly at the turn. this is in the fourth quarter in one of the lines and is the worst condition. It should be aligned with the cut in the road horizontally.

As you can see, coming back on the same area on the first quarter it is aligned correctly, but starting to rotate.

I am now running a linear flight plan and while the drone stays aligned in short runs where there are bends in the plan it is still rotating on long runs.

I’m going to close this topic and continue it in the latest iOS version discussions.

https://forum.dronedeploy.com/t/ios-app-version-4-19/16201/7

It might be more efficient to have a static Flight-Discussion tread with “known issues” rather than a new thread for every version of the app. When a question comes up about the flight app not working in some way, it can be looked at and if it is a known issue or a new issue that can be repeated, it gets added to the list. If something on the list is fixed, it can be noted with the app version that fixed it. I think it might be a simpler approach to questions and problems with the flight app. What do you think?

I think that is one of those they say six in one and half-dozen in the other. I prefer to stick with the versioning as we would in a beta test. Basically you start from scratch with each new version and document as you go. That way it’s more of a bug report and the Flight discussions can be more about productivity and tips. I tried running bug reports through support and it just takes too long. Plus you don’t have the luxury of user experiences, just what DroneDeploy testing tells you.

You have things that don’t seem to change from version to version that would need to be repeated again and again in each new version thread to be comprehensive. Heading, p4p skipped images, etc. When someone pops in after experiencing something, they would be confronted with the list of known issues and see that it is already there. In the versions thread, it may not even be mentioned because it’s been around so long none of the regulars bother to write it down.

Also, I think it would be a good idea if DD did not think of the general user base as beta testers although that is probably wishful thinking.

The problem I see with that is that when the code changes different things could be causing the same problem and sometimes old things come back. of course they can refer back to their notes on the previous version instead of going through several threads.

I look at the forum as user facing and a known issues list is primarily for them, not DD. DD’s involvement in the forum is minimal at best and usually only when they are specifically pinged. It would be great if that were not the case. But that’s what we have.

That being the case, It’s easier for users, when they drop in, to have a simple list or table to find if what they are experiencing is new or existing or just user error.

Can we get any kind of a definitive answer on what to expect with this issue? For it to have started so abruptly and being consistent across 3 different Phantom 4’s there really needs to be some attention on this. I am definitely seeing degradation of overlaps which don’t seem to be affecting the maps to much except for the edges which is very noticeable. Unfortunately since it has been happening for so long and now always does it I have nothing to directly compare it to in order to really verify that the quality isn’t being affected. @Jamespipe Is it possibly a DJI issue? While I am not 100% certain of the relationship, it seems that our V2.0 seems to be having more compass issues after recent firmware updates and I have been getting prompted for inconsistent firmware several times lately when opening DJI Go 4… The V1’s never get prompted and do not experience compass calibration requests, but they crab as well.

2 Likes