Wipeout - Object Avoidance / Proximity Sensors

I conducted a real world test of the object avoidance / proximity sensors yesterday while using DD and crashed our Phantom 4 Pro. While flying at 200’ AGL we clipped the top of a Doug Fir. This was not an intentional test obviously, and was completely my fault, but I just thought I would report back and let you all know to not rely on the object avoidance system while flying via DD.

1 Like

Everything is on in DJI Go right? I have experienced that DD reports OBS is available even though I have it turned off in DJI Go. I do not know if it will override though…

Yes, everything is/was on in DJI Go. And I had Obstacle Avoidance turned on in my DD flight plan.

2 Likes

Was your Phantom flying sideways when it struck the tree? On the Mavic 2 pro, the side sensors only work when it’s in Tripod mode, and I believe it’s the same with the Phantom 4 pro.

1 Like

Nope, it was flying forward along a planned flight line.

1 Like

Obstacle avoidance is not 100% foolproof and a number of situations can fool it.
The manual lists these.

1 Like

Remember this feature has nothing to do with DD or any other 3rd party Software program.

DJI created this feature and you turn it on in the DJI Go app, the 3rd party Software uses whatever settings you used in the DJI Go software. To prove that DD has a Object Avoidance option but if you go into DJI Go App you will see all the different types of avoidance options.

I have never checked the DJI SDK API calls to see what DJI has to offer the 3rd party developers with object avoidance.

1 Like