Volume measurements with increasing snow depth?

Yes. This is the question. A potential customer just mailed me and asked me to send them a proposal for volumetric measurements over piles of logs and chipped logs once per month one year ahead.
In my part of the world there can be 1 - 1½ meter of snow slowly building on the ground beginning in late october and I’m thinking that an increasing snow layer over a pile slowly smoothens out the differences between the pile and the surrounding making this measurement increasingly inaccurate until becoming impossible.
Any thoughts?

Regards Roger

1 Like

Hi @KRWaara,

This sounds like a tough one. Snow in general can be pretty hard to process given its homogenous nature. That in general may make it hard to process.

The volume measurements may also be inaccurate because of the snow fall. It is going to be hard telling volume of snow from log if they partially or fully covered. Unless you are able to remove the snow on the ground directly around it and what covers it, this may be hard to do.

One thing I just thought of that might get you close. Can you sample the snow depth and use that depth to subtract from the volume reported? It might be a small hassle, but I think this is one of those things where you can’t replace boots on the ground. I run into this fairly often in flying when trying to topo vegetated or shredded sites where you still need a fairly close grade. We regularly shoot checkpoints and then bring that into Carlson to correct. We can break the model into the number of checkpoints and re-calibrate.

Thanks for the input. I gave them a proposal but ONLY for volumetrics during the spring-summer-autumn. The only technology that might solve this is radar measurement, and as far as I know there are no such gadgets to add to my drone.

Rgds roger

2 Likes

I think your right, but it depends on the tolerance they need. It may not have to be 1-2cm.

I received a mail telling me that my initial post is “off topic” What?! I created this post which was my initial question in my topic. How can you tell me that its “off topic”? The topic is mine!

Unbelievable. Please explain!

It’s nothing that any of us moderators did. Apparently someone flagged it which hid it, probably unintentionally. I’ll see if I can get it unhidden, but being that there hasn’t been any activity in almost a month and there’s not a likely answer to it I will be closing the thread.

@Kaitlin, it doesn’t look like I can unhide it? Can you please help?

You are right. Made me upset that somebody had hihjacked my posting. But yes, leave it. It has been dead for a month, as you say.

Rgds Roger

1 Like

Did you have any luck? Would be nice to hear if you had any bright ideas!

If I reply to the mail it bounces back telling me that the mail adress is invalid.

No bright ideas… The witer is almost here. No droning for six months… Gettin by. Trying to survive… :wink:

Well… I gave the customer a proposal on volume measurement during the no - snow period. They accepted it, so I’m on it now.
The main difficulty is to determine which of the three method to use every time on every new pile of logs and chipped logs. Don’t want to give them wrong measurements…

Rgds Roger

R

What email? For DD support?

Are you talking about the volume base planes? I use triangulation pretty much all the time unless the stockpile is up against a wall.

I’m getting a mail telling me that I have a reply and that I can visit the topic to give a reply or reply to the email.
the reply via mail is not working.
Yes. I’m not sure on which method to use when… I’ve compared DD with Mapsmadeeasy (MME) and found out that “Linear fit” is spot on to MMEs measurement… Almost 100% hit…

Linear and Triangulated are very similar when terrain is flat, but triangulated become more accurate as the base plane becomes more sloped or stepped

Lidar might produce something to work with, but first you need a Lidar platform, then you need the software…

If it’s really cold, what about painting surveyed GCP points on the snow? You could then compare to pre-snow topography if you know the local snow depth. This works well on iced in lakes. Probably depends on the accuracy required.

Naah. I gave it up. Too complicated and expensive… :blush: