Using DSM's in Geographical Information Systems?

I am relatively new to the IoS Beta so playing around with creating maps and thereafter analysing the data. I have created a map and downloaded the orthomosaic and used it in GIS and the quality is fantastic. The next stage was to do the same with the DSM and view the data in 3D. I use ArcGIS and usually you can convert a raster DEM to create a TIN (Triangulated Irregular Network) but with the DroneDepoly I can’t. The raster data, I understand, needs to be “continuous” whereas I believe the tiff supplied is “generic”. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Jeremy

Yes… please. I also need to be able to do this. If I find a solution, I will post

I’ve forwarded this to our product team.

Awesome!! Thanks! This would be very helpful

I would be very interested also in DEM’s that contain height data so that they can be modelled in 3D. For very high resolution photo data from low altitudes this would be the equivalent for high resolution LIDAR for subtle earthworks in archaeology. The flat DEM’s we have now are already good for picking out detail, but would be so much more useful if we could model them and then be able to light them from different directions.

That got me thinking about the .LAS point cloud data. Can this be converted into a format that GIS can read and then produce a high resolution terrain model from that ?

hi @markwalters - our customers do use the .las points in programs such as Autocad (please see here for instructions)

Very useful guide - thanks @neema

Mark - I import las models into ArcGIS, works well and allows me then to integrate the 3D model with other data sets.

Hi @JeremyMurfitt I’m using QGIS at the moment. Do the LAS files have to be converted to load them into GIS and if so which format works best - geotiff, ascii xyz ?

Hi @markwalters - Did you ever get anywhere with using the LAS files in QGIS? I’m trying to use the FUSION toolkit in QGIS 2.18.15 and am not having any luck with my DD pointcloud data.

Hi, I’m using Planlauf Terrain https://www.planlauf.com/en/planlaufterrain/download-purchase/ now which works very well with .LAS and .LAZ files. It creates a point cloud in your chosen co-ordinate system which can be manipulated and saved and also creates a DEM ascii file which can be loaded into QGIS. I usually save the loaded ascii file in QGIS as a geotiff for use in other DSM visualisation software for archaeological purposes.