Test - upload speeds for pre-compressed images vs Turbo

I intended to see what the speed and quality results were like if I used images straight from the drone using the “Turbo” upload option versus uploading previously compressed images (I use JPEGMini). This was to accompany my previous post about how I manage my workflow (thread here).

I have to start by saying that these results are inconclusive and I’m really disappointed at what happened.

There were 354 images in total, 2.6Gb worth of JPG’s straight from the drone which we’ll deal with now;
Leaving the Turbo upload option OFF in DD reported it would take 6-11 hours, 3.2px/in resolution, 2.6Gb of data.
Switching the Turbo upload option ON in DD reported that it would take 0.6-1.1 hours, 6.4px/in resolution, 264Mb of data.
So straight away the Turbo option takes away half of the final resolution giving a far quicker upload time.

But this is where the issues started;
In Google Chrome with the Turbo upload option on crashed Chrome a few seconds from starting the upload.
I tried Internet Explorer 11, but when clicking “Login” on the DroneDeploy website it just sits with the blue arrow and the moving circle (I’ve waited about 30 minutes).
I then tried Microsoft Edge but when I got as far as selecting the 354 images Edge locked up and I had to terminate the process.
Through all of the above I rebooted the PC and tried multiple times.

Now, compressing the images ahead of uploading using JPEGMini; the 354 images totalled approximately 1Gb. This took almost exactly 15 minutes to upload on my 10Mbps Fibre broadband with nothing else running in the background.
The upload is currently processing with DroneDeploy but of course compressing the images ahead of upload means I keep the full resolution 3D DroneDeploy model and cut the upload size/fime by (in this case) just over 60%.

So in summary I have no data for the uncompressed but ‘Turbo’ upload, nor do I know Chrome, IE and Edge failed to work.

PC spec;
• Windows Professional 10 64Bit
• Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E (3.30GHZ, 15MB L3 CACHE)
• Nvidia GTX 980 4GB Extreme
• MSI X99S SLI Plus Motherboard
• 32GB Crucial (4 x 8GB) 2133Mhz DDR4
• 240GB SATA III Ultrafast SSD
• ASUS ROG SWIFT Curved PG348Q, 34" UWQHD (3440x1440) monitor, IPS, 100Hz, DP, HDMI, USB3.0 , G-SYNC
• Second monitor - ROG Swift PG278Q Gaming Monitor - 27’’ 2K WQHD (2560 x 1440), 1ms, up to 144Hz, G-SYNC