Share 3D model

I don’t believe Google Poly has subscriptions. It is free. I have started a dialog with them as well and proposed 300mb free, 500 for $5,99 and 750 for $9.99. Does this sound feasible to you all?

At this point all it would be good for is standard single family subdivision inspection. Perfect for the insurance of roofing industry.

I am in the same situation with my clients.Before I was able to provide them with just the 3D model that they would embed on their site. I am doing properties that are 100 acres and over and this was a very nice the way it was before. Now they complain about have to take to many steps to just see the model, most people on line will not spend the time to do this. Plus there are a few of the apps at the bottom that are their when it is done this way. Such as the roof report and quick map overlays.
To much information for those who just want to view the 3D model. Please bring the old way back. Sometimes changing to make updates does away with a good way to do something.

2 Likes

I have been told today that they are working on an individual option share for the 3D model.

2 Likes

@skyviewvt Thanks for reaching out and completely understand your frustrations. We changed out of sketchfab in order to support larger data sets and the ability to build upon our 3D model viewer. We are currently working on expanding the 3D model viewer but no hard timeline to when it will be released. Stay tuned and we will update! Thanks!

@Yusuf,

It has been 3 months. Do you have any update on expanding the 3D model viewer? Also if you expand the viewer capabilities, can I then export a larger 3D model as an .OBJ file? I need a mesh model with about 5,000,000 faces for precision agriculture work on orchards. This .OBJ file would be about 250 MB in size.

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

You haven’t heard anything because that was a bunch of BS DroneDeploy was giving you. In my opinion the real reason is Sketchfab probably saw the volume of DroneDeploy’s account and jacked up the fee tor their Enterprise level account and DD decided they don’t want to pay Sketchfab to store all those models on behalf of all the DD t customers and shift the cost to the DD customers forcing them to pay Sketchfab if they weren’t already.They’re probably still using Sketchfab, but Sketchfab “cut off” us DD customers from being able to share the models without paying for a Sketchfab acount.

No, it’s not Sketchfab. Using Sketchfab disallowed some of the functionality that is coming.

The number of submissions for this functionality is far outweighed by other functions that are already in process.

If cost was the reason they left Sketchfab because paying a 3rd party an exorbitant amount to store content when you could get an engine and store it yourself would be a good business decision.

I hope this helps your understanding.

I’m wondering approximately what date the ability to directly share the model via DroneDeploy’s own Sketchfab project link was removed? I know it was acknowledged on this thread in September 2018, but how much earlier than that?

I think that is correct. The first release of Cesium was in August 2018.

So what functionality has been added to the 3D Model Viewer since August 2018?

Mostly just quicker viewing and improved textures, including HD texture which should always be turned on if you want the more distance features to render. If just SD then only a certain distance from you renders. The main objective is to move towards 3D annotating which will never be part of SketchFab view-only.

I would love to use the DD 3D model viewer for showcasing properties. Any updates on this? Is there any solution other than uploading the file to Sketchfab? I’ve tried it and the rendering looks half as clear as it does on DD. It would be really nice if we could simply share a link to just the DD 3D model and possibly embed it into another website.

Has DD done anything different or added anything since 2019? It would be nice if DD got together with Sketchfab to create a supported app agreement for people who need this type of functionality.

1 Like

You should be able to share a view-only link to any of your projects. From there the clients will need just a little instruction to select the 3D model. It would be nice to have a link that went right to the 3D model.

https://www.dronedeploy.com/app2/sites/5f6cdd85fa92912009bb8fc4/maps/630d3aa00aa0271ea75509a3?jwt_token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiJ9.eyJpZCI6IjYzMGQzYWFhYmRjYWNlNjE1MWRjOTAwZiIsInR5cGUiOiJQdWJsaWNTaGFyZVYyIiwiYWNjZXNzX3R5cGUiOiJwbGFuIn0.pBZBDvFRAF8eo8jI6m22tkZ6gh3ftGxc2jxEZ0SME5QDRi7sOKMvChZc3EodSQLyQgWL-wmGE7sdG5g0wH1Q5g