Pre-Flight Overlays for Planning

I’m not sure how I never thought of this before but I just now figured out that you can bring in an overlay layer into a project as soon as you set it up and actually before flying a mission. Now the thing that doesn’t make sense is why we still can’t use overlays to plan missions. This was brought up almost 3 years ago so I just started a new thread.

7 Likes

Michael, My workaround for this request is to use QGIS or Google Earth to import Civil files or other drawings that have coordinates. Using these drawings, one can generate a shapefile that is georeferenced and can be imported onto DroneDeploy

1 Like

Very cool. So bring the CAD into QGIS, make a georeferenced SHP or GeoTiff (if background is need) and then import that into DD on a brand new project and be able to see the linework and/or background in the planning interface? Just verifying want I have seen so far. I’ll try one in a bit.

You can also bring a PDF that has coordinates. Then you can create a new shapefile with features of interest. For example, I typically trace the outline of the building which I then import into DD. With this building outline then I can start planning.

1 Like

Perfect, this will help. Especially if it works for Corridor as well.