Poor Orthomosaic Quality in QGIS

I am using QGIS 3.10 to try and overlay an orthomosaic that I produced in DroneDeploy with some GPS points that I have. I was able to get both to overlay nicely but the image quality of the orthomosaic is really bad. Any tips for how I can improve the image quality in QGIS?

1 Like

It’s probably not fully rendering. What is the size of the file? Have you tried making pyramids?

The tif file is 6.75 GB. I remember briefly reading about pyramids in another post but am not completely sure about how to do that correctly.

1 Like

I would start with the second from the top and go from there. The more selections you build the smoother the navigation should be. Your number may be different because your map has different dimensions than the one I have open.

okay, thanks for the info. I will give it a try

1 Like

There was slight improvement in image quality but it is still very blurry. Would exporting the image from DroneDeploy at a lower resolution help?

1 Like

It’s definitely worth a try. I usually work with the 2in/px unless the site is under 30 acres or so. How much RAM and graphics memory do you have?

When you have it open you might check the usage through Task Manager. It usually reports higher than what the file size is.

This is a 2in/px at 100%. Can you post a snippet at 100%?

Sorry I am very new working with this stuff but do you just mean zoomed in as far as I can on the original DroneDeploy ortho? The area that I am working with was about 270 acres total so I am going to try a 4in/px export

1 Like

Sorry, left out an important detail. In QGIS, on the bottom under the image view set it to 1:30 and 100%. The clarity in external programs will never be as detailed as the website. The maximum available download will be close, but will be so big that even gaming computers will have slow render times and may not provide “full” resolution.

You can type it in. “1:30”

This is at 1:31

1 Like

I messed around with the first map a little more and was able to get a little better quality at 1:30

1 Like

The first was 4in/px? Looks poor to me, but I will load one at that level and check as well. This one looks nice. It is a pretty good size plot so I think continuing to learn and play with it you will get what you want. We should note as well that DroneDeploy’s website does limit the zoom factor so it will look better.

BTW, how many pixels is the image?

4in/px quality is definitely confirmed. I am surprised 2in/px is so much better after seeing this, lol…

1 Like