Plan Start Failed: Over maximum flight radius

Hey all!

About a week ago I received a replacement DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 and ever since I’ve been having an issue. I don’t know if this is directly related or not as a friend of mine is having a smiliar issue, but here goes.

Recently what is happening is I get onsite, open DJI 4, confirm everything looks good, then switch over the DroneDeploy. The first battery runs flawlessly. After I land and change out batteries I click “Continue Mission” in DD and eventually it will display “Plan Start Failed: Over maximum flight radius.” I re-open DJI to “kick it” and verify that flight radius restriction is disabled, go back to DD, and the app seems to reset the entire map wanting to start again at the original takeoff point (as opposed to continuing the mission).

To get around this I need to modify the flight plan to exclude areas already captured. Once I modify I can then again take off, but after swapping out the battery each subsequent time I have the same issue and have to load DJI, back to DD, remove the flown region from the flight plan, and then take off again.

I know that yesterday there was an update to DD Flight to use the newer DJI SDK, so wondering if that is the issue.

I’m going to play around with it a bit to see if I can find a workaround, but this is very problematic with 10+ battery missions.

I did check:

No max flight radius (disabled box) but also tried 8000m as maximum flight radius with no success.
Verified that max height was okay.
Beginner mode is off.
Airspace is clear.

Thanks in advance!

DJ

3 Likes

I’ve occasionally had this problem too (same drone) when I’ve maybe flown too far away from the controller - mission with 10+ batteries could be a very large area. Flying near power lines has also caused some problems, sometimes very hard to avoid with limited access on back roads.

1 Like

I am having the same problem with my Mavic 2 Pro. My fix has been to restart the iPad. It happens to me between missions on the same battery and on any mission requiring a battery change. I haven’t had this problem on multiple battery missions previously but I hadn’t flown since last fall. I did a firmware update on the Mavic after the problem began, but this didn’t resolve the issue. Your description points to a DD issue.

1 Like

I flew this morning after installing 2 updates since posting this and I was able to resume the mission after the battery swap. The process worked and the stand count data was generated at edge of field as expected. I don’t know if this thread had anything to do with it, but thanks to everyone that corrected the problem.

2 Likes