DD just about took me head on into a cluster of trees today and completely restricted control of the drone in the process.
I created a pano mission in DD at a jobsite I fly at frequently, elevation 50’ AGL. Below are the steps that were taken. This occurrence was with a P4P pro v2.
- DJI Go 4 - calibrated, took off, flew to approximate pano location & elevation, set camera.
- Switched to DD App (Version mobile-4.41.0 - 4.41.0) on ipad (6th Gen 14.4.2)
- Started Pano mission (obstacle avoidance on). Drone adjusted slightly and then took the 26 photos.
- After taking the last photo, the drone rotated towards the home point and started flying at 50’ directly towards a cluster of trees. I hit up and back on the sticks. The drone paused for a few seconds and then continued directly toward the trees, getting close enough to clip a few leaves. I tried all directions on the sticks and could do very little. It would pause and backup slightly but i could not rotate, move side to side, or up or down. After a few seconds of backing up DD would again takeover and head for the trees. Obstacle avoidance did absolutely nothing, no warnings, almost like it wasn’t active.
- I tried the pause button on the DD mission but it was not pause, it was a yellow play button and did nothing.
- I tried switching the drone into sport mode but again, nothing.
- I tried the pause button on the P4P controller, again nothing.
- With all other options exhausted I held back on the sticks and closed the DD app completely. Opened go4 and on open it was in the Waypoint flight mode and set between the pano point and home point. I was not able to regain control until I manually exited the waypoint flight mode.
The icing on the cake is there are zero flight logs on the ipad for todays flights. (None from the disaster above or the final 3 panos i flew after with extreme caution).
- Why is the pause button on the DD app no longer active until the drone lands?
- Why does the drone return to home after a mission? Can this be turned off completely?
- What controls the RTH elevation on pano missions?
- Where are my missing flight logs?
- My understanding was the pause button on the DJI controller was essentially the kill switch. Is this not the case?
- Why in the world would the controller be restricted while the drone is returning home?