Overlay shp on 3d model?

Is there any way at all to overlay a path from a shp file (or gpx, or whatever) on top of the 3d model in the web-based viewer? Or any web-based viewer? I’m trying to overlay the path of a trail system on top of the 3d model.

I tried downloading the geotiff file, adding my lines in qgis, exporting as geotiff, import to dronedeploy. But the job never completed (I never got an email). If anybody has an easy way of doing this?

Am I right to assume that Drone Deploy needs all over the individual images to build the 3d model? You can’t export a geo tiff, then re-import it to a new job and get a 3d model, right?

Thanks for any help,

Tony

Not in any web-based viewer I’m aware of. I think you are on the right path of the DEMtiff and SHP or KML path in QGIS. What’s your end goal? See the path draped on the model? You’re headed to engineering software with that. @SolarBarn, any ideas in Rhino?

@tonythemediaguy,

I know how to import the 3D OBJ file with texture into Rhino to create a mesh with feet dimensions that is not referenced to any GPS coordinates. Then the shp file could be read into QGIS and converted to one of the supported Rhino file types:
SupportedFiles
which can then be imported into Rhino. I do not know which type will work with the mesh dimensioned in feet.

Is the path information just 2D? I know if it was converted to points then these could be imported to Rhino, converted to a line and then the line could be projected down onto the mesh to create a nice, green trail path viewable in the 3D perspective view (or any color or line type or thickness you like). I could write the Python script that would do this part. I would need an example 3D model OBJ file and the path data probably uploaded to something like Google Drive due to the size of the 3D model. If you wanted to get fancy, you could add a feature for clicking on any 2 points of the path and get the 3D distance between. Plus stuff like elevation change …

The one part I am worried about is that I have not done any of this with a textured mesh. I have just worked with the non-textured mesh which I color to make an elevation map. This I can get to work for sure. But maybe it could be made to work with the textured mesh too. We could store the data on different layers, one for the textured mesh, one for the plain mesh on which the projection is done, and one for the path line. Then you could turn on the textured mesh and see the path line on top of it. Might take displacing the path a bit to get it above the textured mesh but that should be a small detail.

McNeel’s Rhino 6 is available for a free 90-day trial. After the trial, saving to a file goes away but you can still use it as a viewer and do screen captures. And run new scripts.

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like

Thanks @SolarBarn, I knew you would have something!

Wow, thank you for your well thought-out answer.

The end goal was just to show the paths on top of the 3d model. This is a public trail that skirts between two private properties. The easement is 8ft wide, and was recently surveyed. The surveyor gave a cad file, which was turned into a dxf file, then exported as a shp file before being sent to me. I think the dxf is 2D is the issue here. I think it was just drawn on top of the flat image.

I can send you a link to upload the data and will do it for you if you like? Just message me your email.

Thanks. I don’t think the data is there to do this, though. I think I need the original cad file, right?

A good (vector preferably) PDF works.

What files do you have now? Do you have the shp file and the 3D model OBJ file?

Do you want to use a textured 3D model or is just a bare 3D model OK?

It doesn’t matter in my process what 3D content it is. The PDF is to drape the linework over the surface.

Will that give a 3D model or just a 2D view with the path lines on top?

It will produce a 3D model with linework draped on top.

Does the draping project the path onto the 3D model so you can look at it in perspective view and see the path wind down along the side of the mountain? Probably just different terms we are using, so just checking.

Yes it does. I have to get to 20 characters so here we are…

OK. This sounds good. I will let you work this thru with @tonythemediaguy. Lots of coding still to do here for Kevin.

Regards,
Terry.

1 Like