NVDI - How to?

Would love to see a side by side comparison od the DD pseudo NDVi using the standard inspire cameras vs. this aerial media pro camera. NDVI is one of my primary interests for this platform. Very happy to see this camera is available.

Cool idea - I will let @aerialmediapros know to share some maps for comparison.

We were able to put together a side-by-side comparison chart for those interested in the X3 NDVI.

Let us know if you have further questions, or any thoughts you have on these comparisons.

2 Likes

Why not throw some 3D imags in there for fun as well:

Quick 5 minute review of the Ag Scout Series for your viewing pleasureā€¦

1 Like

Does the P3 advanced have the ability to produce NDVI, 3D model, and digital surface model?

For NDVI you need a modified camera, which is available from vendors such as Aerial Media pros. For 3D Models and DSMs you only need the photos taken by the advance.

Currently I can only get orthomosiac photos from Drone Deploy, not even the 3D or DSMs

@aerialmediapros Any chance you will start selling an aftermarket P3 NDVI camera or would it be more involved than just swapping cameras back and forth as needed?

@Heabmonster youā€™ve made a map with Dronedeploy and you didnā€™t receive a 3d model or DSM? Do you have a link to the flight or map?

Yes. That looks like something went wrong. Will be fixed by tomorrow.

In regards to an aftermarket P3 NDVI camera, the process of switching is more involved and you would have to ā€˜breakā€™ the anti-drop pins on the gimbal each time you swapped. However we are already looking into providing P3 NDVI cameras separately, and if there is enough demand for it then we will surely offer it.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested. Hopefully, it will be something you can do in the future. Fyi, hereā€™s a simple solution for the anti drop pins: Steel Retainer Pins

Just wanted to add that you can modify existing cameras quite easily: basically all you need to do is remove the UV filter and add an NGB filter - Infragram have cheap DIY kits, and further details are on Public Lab via link below. Hope this helps!

http://publiclab.org/wiki/near-infrared-camera

1 Like

Iā€™ve always just used light weight zip ties on my DJI gimbals. If you cinch them down so they are loose, the provide all the protection you need without hindering the gimbal in the slightest.

JGSP, how would this apply to a Phantom 3 camera? Would you still have to remove a UV filter, which must be internal if it exists at all on this camera? What would prevent you from building a mount for the NGB filter for the front of the lens?

Hi Glambt!

Youā€™d have to take apart the camera, identify the UV filter, remove it, and add in the NGB. Definitely would involve a decent amount of surgery and certainly void your warranty. But for a basic one, it should be possible. Havenā€™t attempted this myself, but I wanted to demystify what actually goes into an NDVI camera.

Let me know if you go for it!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, JGSP. I am just getting started, so I might not risk being that aggressive with the camera just yet. Still, my main interest is in agriculture, so I guess NVDI is rapidly going to be a must. I live in the midst of the Napa Valley grape growing region, so itā€™s a natural for me. In addition, my location includes quite a few pear and walnut orchards.

Iā€™m also going to call Aerial Media Pros and see what the current state of their P3 camera mods are, as well as Aerial Ag Pros that claims to have a P3 mod for $800.

Anyway, Iā€™ll be posting about it as time goes along.

1 Like

JGSP, I know of a guy who does P3 repairs and is accumulating a supply of wrecked P3 cameras and gimbals. Iā€™m thinking I could get him to do the mod on a functioning camera with a dysfunctional gimbal.

That way, the hardware would be cheap, and the cost would be mainly in the mod itself. The question would then if DD would work with a gimbal locked in the lockdown position. What do you think?

1 Like

What would you say is an optimal altitude for NDVI imaging row crops such as soybeans?

1 Like