No Fly Zones

Is there a way to fly in “No Fly Zones” yet?

I had a job near an airport. I traveled 1 hr. out to the site, got cleared to fly by DJI GO, paid 2x insurance, communicated with the air tower, and jumped through all the hoops necessary to fly safely, legally, etc. However once I got in the air, the Drone Deploy software wouldn’t allow me to fly, and I couldn’t figure out any way to bypass.

Is there something I’m missing? Is there a way to jump through this hoop as well?..

1 Like

Hi @Riley_Feez,

Thanks for swinging by the DroneDeploy Forum. Currently, the NFZ permission within DroneDeploy is not available in the user interface. However, I have enabled the NFZ permission for your account on my end. Please sign out and back into your DroneDeploy account for the changes to take effect.

Happy flying!

Best,
Andrea

Interesting. What does this mean exactly? I can now fly in No Fly Zones without it stopping me, or knowing that its in a NFZ at all? Is this 100% Guaranteed every time?
I want to be very clear because my job site is over an hour away from home.

Hi @Riley_Feez,

With the NFZ feature on your DroneDeploy app, you can fly in a restricted area if you have unlocked the restriction in DJI Geo. This feature should work well. If you receive any further restriction please make sure that everything is cleared within the DJI Go app.

Happy flying!
Andrea

Is this a paid feature ? I have yet to need to map an area near an airport, but must of the missions I fly here in NC are within NFZ’s. I normally only need the DJI GO authorization, but would hate to get in a position were I need it and it’s not available to override.

Hi @NSightDrones,

The NFZ feature on our end is not a paid feature. It’s something we enable on our end on an as-needed basis for users. I’ve gone ahead and enabled this for you as well. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Christina

Thank you Christina.

I just want to make 200% absolutely positively sure that I am understanding this right. (Because I drove an hour out to a job and was on site standing with the client when DD kept me from completing the job, making me look really good…)

Once I get insured, then get cleared with dji to fly, whether at the site through the tablet app like I did before, or on the website link provided earlier in this string called DJI Geo… (does it matter which way that I do it?) Once I do those two things and I am cleared by my Insurance as well as DJI, then I will be able to launch the mission through Drone Deploy, in the FAA “No Fly Zone,” and I will not be stopped by Drone Deploy, or have to go through any more applying or clearing processes, because you have already done that from an administrative end on my Drone Deploy account?..

If this is the case, how long will this last on my account?

Thanks

Thank, you. I was un aware of this also. But will surly keep this in mind when going through my preflight check list.
Thank you again Christina, you may have just saved me some miles in driving.

@NSightDrones @Riley_Feez

Hello and thanks for reaching out. I can see your No Fly Zone restrictions has been lifted on the DroneDeploy app. You should have no restrictions on flying via the DroneDeploy app. You will need to be sure your DJI permissions are updated as well before flying.

Thanks.

How do I request the NFZ restrictions to be lifted? The only reference I have found is in this forum article. I need to drive 70 miles to do a Tesla site in a small town with an airport. I have pre-authorized the DJI restriction to be lifted for the next 2 days.
Thanks for your help.

Hi @Kitefiter,

I’ve gone ahead and enabled it for you on my end. As @Yusuf has noted, you’ll still need to make sure that your DJI Permissions are updated before you fly.

Cheers,
Christina

Hey Andrea. … I am out in the field with the client, insurance running, dji waver granted, drone deploy NFZ is preventing me from flying again… Just like I was afraid of… Just like you ensured me you had disabled on your end…please help asap.

The restrictions are not lifted, DD will not let me fly. Please enable them asap as I am with a client in the field

The NFZ is keeping me from flying again. Just like I repeatedly tried to ensure wouldn’t happen… I’m in the field with a client. Please enable asap.

@Riley_Feez Hello Riley thanks for reaching out. I can see your no fly zone restrictions have been removed from our side. have you tried logging out and logging back into the app? Please send me a personal message and I will help trouble shoot. Thank you!

I’ve sent you 2 direct messages. Please help troubleshoot.

Not sure why DD decided to get into the NFZ business. Weren’t we restricted enough with the manufacturer’s restrictions? The problem is all the different layers we are being forced to go through. As a Part 107 Pilot I should only have to answer to the FAA and what they require. It’s called being responsible…

One thing is for sure, If DJI prevents me from earning money I will find another bird to fly. I am currently a DD Business customer and may have to reconsider the competition if I end up grounded.

2 Likes

Just an fyi, this hidden function did not work with my UAV platform, and still disabled me to complete the job, after was out in the field with the client and found out the hard way, for the second time… Apparently there is a ‘bug’ that doesn’t let this function work with certain drones… I was flying a P3A. You may want to check and see if there is a bug in the way of your platform. Because even though they are aware of it, they won’t tell you about it until it’s too late and you’ve wasted your time and money on that 70 miles like I did.

Just an fyi, this hidden function did not work with my UAV platform, and still prevented me from completing the job, after was out in the field with the client and found out the hard way, for the second time… Apparently there is a ‘bug’ that doesn’t let this function work with certain drones… I was flying a P3A. You may want to check and see if there is a bug in the way of your platform. Because even though they are aware of it, they won’t tell you about it until it’s too late and you’ve wasted your time and money on that 70 miles like I did.

Same problem for me today. I logged in on DJI GO, got the clearance and started DD. Upon trying to fly, I was notified that I was in a no fly zone, it asked me to log into DJI again. Then it would not take off as I was in a no fly zone. I was able to fly the project by hand but this is a terrible solution. I sure hope we can figure this out in the future (which may be tomorrow as my job in DJI does not look great in pre-processing.)