New map engine is struggling with trees/water?

Hi folks - this is the vision team’s number one priority right now.

Indeed a January and July we released new algorithms which vastly improved the point cloud quality and accuracy for structures, but resulted in regions with high noise and uncertainty (low coverage or trees) being “cleaned” out. The significant downside of this is the loss of trees from maps that are processed in structures mode. We hope to have an improvement out this week to fill the holes, but will keep working on this until we have a full solution.

Our goal is zero trade off (other than time) for processing in structures mode to have equally great looking buildings and trees.

Until then, if you have significant tree cover please do use Normal flight (not enhanced 3D) and process in terrain mode to ensure best possible ortho coverage. (As for trees this is not a problem you can resolve with more images.) I will use this thread to provide updates on progress from photogrammetry.

James

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification James! I have found though that if I can get enough points, particularly of the bottom of the canopy or ground level that these gaps do not happen. The trees still look pretty wonky, but no holes unless it is just absolutely just top of canopies that is visible.

This 3D model was generated with crosshatch and circling the area at the end, so not quite sure what else could have been done.

Sounds like Enhanced 3D. I would recommend the Auto Flight Modes Crosshatch and set the gimbal pitch to 55 degrees. Perimeter scan is going to do very little. No nadir? That is what gives you the space in between the trees…

Sorry my ignorance, but where do you set this in Drone Deploy fly module?
And where to you set the gimbal angle as well?
Are you referring to other software?

1 Like

Yes, it is in the App Market.

3 Likes

Hi @JamesC - sorry for the length of time this took to resolve. We’ve improved the Structures mode to bring back those trees and fill the holes in the ortho and DEM.

I just replied on another thread about this condition and have not noticed much of an improvement since this thread was started. I will try to reprocess a couple of troublesome jobs as a test.