Missing Images

Hard to say since we don’t get reports of everything is working 100% correct. Forums are good but they don’t truly represent what’s actually going on. Normally you only hear if something is going wrong.

I’m a admin an 3D Printers sites and it’s the same thing, you only hear the bad by a few vs the good by the thousands.

As noted above we are making progress with @MichaelL with ruling out things. Today I will work with him to see what we can figure out, so we can approach DD with data.

The more help we get with this issue the more we can help get the issue resolved quicker. Now @Adam_Carp and @AlexHennessey are aware of this they will help on DD side.

1 Like

I suspect that there are many more, if not all P4P users experiencing this issue. But with sufficient overlaps it is usually compensated for and therefore, no one showing up on here wondering about the spacing. DD staff could look at the image plots of the P4P user base’s orthos in their system and definitively tell if there are any p4ps that do NOT have this issue. I’m assuming you do not have this spacing issue on your P4RTK?

I can’t compare the P4RTK to the P4P due to it uses the DJI Go RTK app. I also have it set to distance vs timed photos. I have access to a P4Pv2, but it can’t run DD on it either due to the integrated screen.

P4RTK flights

13 to 20+ MPH winds

*13 to 20+ MPH winds Multi Battery

*Multi Battery Mission (3 Battery mission)

• The missing photos above is a caused by a DJI bug when a battery causes a RTH and when you continue the mission it goes to the next leg vs the next photo location.

Same Mission with 90 degree rotation (2 flights)

I will help anyone if they provide flight logs. Currently I’m working with @MichaelL and gave him a few sites that might help us see what’s going on behind the scenes.

Others can test the same issue with Pix4D and see if they have the same issue, that would rule out 3rd party apps or DJI’s SDK.

Yes, distance is what we all use. Timed is generally used if there is no, or poor signal to the app. So the distance timing is what we are all using. However the fw is probably different on the P4RTK craft itself, or is it the same as the p4p?

Either way, your results demonstrate that the hardware, (gimbal/camera and SOC are identical), is most likely not an issue and even spacing should be attainable. It is the SDK or the DD app, or both. Unless of course, both Michael and myself have the aboslute worst lucK when it comes to SD cards ! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The P4RTK has it’s own FW but I’m assuming it’s base was P4P with the RTK on top of it.

Lol, I can get you a lot of Brand Name SD Cards that are fake if you want. I’ve seen to many of them in the 3D Printing side and yes they cause a lot of issues. If your buying SD Cards online from a non-manufacturer then it’s a gamble. If the price is to true to believe then your probably getting a clone SD Card. SD Cards can go bad over time (just like harddrives), this doesn’t mean the entire SD Card is bad but sectors can be bad.

I know it’s a DJI SDK/DD Software issue but I have to rule out all the easy items (like a SD Card). I’m waiting on any logs files that either DJI created or DD may have created so we can look into what might be going on.

If you looked at the snippet of DJI SDK code you would see that the 3rd party calling the DJI SDK is pretty simple and it’s up to the 3rd party software to handle the events returned. This doesn’t mean it’s a DD issue. Remember you can’t compare my P4RTK flight photos to a P4Pv1 due to different FW.

1 Like

Please do share that list. All of my cards are Sandisk or Lexar, but I here what you’re saying.

Here is an example from April. You can view and download the log on AirData
I don’t know which of my SD cards I used or I would put it through any test you would like.

Here’s the accuracy report from this mission. As you can see, the X value is way of and the Y value was slightly affected. Z is good. This was PPK without GCP’s.

I have seen counterfeited Kingston SD Cards and there are a few others. I think I’ve seen Scan Disks before as well.

The Key is to buy from Scan Disk directly (via Amazon) or from a store like BestBuy/WalMart etc. Those cards will be legit. If you buy from a no name vendor and the deal is to good to be true stay away.

Remember I’m not saying this is the cause for any of these issues but I have had good Scan Disk SD Cards get errors on them because of multiple read/writes. There is a finite number of writes a SD Card can do before they start showing issues. As like anything so can show issues way before the avg while other can show way later.

Just wanted to jump in here and say that I’ve been having this problem with the Inspire 2 (latest firmware) using x7 camera and 16mm DJI lens. It doesn’t happen with the mavic 2 pro with the same settings and same memory cards (Samsung Extreme Pro).

2 Likes

The I2 and P4P are the same product line family and the M2 is newer. So, not surprising but good to know.

1 Like

I think there might be a few people who aren’t mentioning the problem…

I think there are hundreds if not most are having the issue. But with proper Overlaps most folks are not seeing it as a issue. I could see holes in the Map if using something like 65%/65%.

I know not all DD users use the forums as well so we really don’t know how wide spread the issue really is but we can say all non P4RTK could be having this issue. I would add P4Pv2’s but they have the dumb integrated screen and they can’t run anything but DJI Go and now maybe DJI Terra. Litchi released a sideload instructions but I haven’t tried it on our P4Pv2 yet. We are in the process of getting a P4Pv1 controller without the screen. Thanks DJI for that crap.

1 Like

I guess it just took a few of us to pay attention… I wish I would have documented the situation better because it was a definite point in time occurrence that it started happening. I want to say it was like v3.6 or somewhere nearby. I’m pretty picky about symmetry so I’m pretty sure I saw it almost immediately. I am going to start fake-loading old images until I find a date of inception.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Flight Planning Software Options

30 posts were split to a new topic: Uneven Image Spacing

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Drone Deploy changes my camera setting

I have split this topic into two separate threads. After allot of discussion it looks like we have been able to separate this into two different issues. Missing images (this thread) and uneven spacing of images.

1 Like

After reading the threads I looked in the blanks on their missions. A survey conducted by the 08.06.2019 G. Found two sites are located near the larger distance between the survey points. A detailed examination revealed that the number of frames as if normal, but P4P twice took 2 pictures with exactly the same coordinates, so they are displayed in the program as a single point, and the shooting time in the properties of these frames is exactly the same. Although images with the same coordinates shows that P4P has moved, but only slightly, not like the normal parts of the mission.

I think the Missing Images and the Shifted Images has the same base issue.

The issue I documented is this: (I’ gonna shorthand Lat/Long/Elevation as XYZ)

Normal Process:

1. Move Drone to correct XYZ location
  2. Gets XYZ Location (Drone at the correct location)
  3. Take Photo (Drone at the correct location)
  4. Write Photo
  5. Repeat Step 1

Actual Process:

1. Drone starts moving to XYZ location (The next Photo Location)
  2. Gets XYZ Location (Drone not at correct XYZ)
  3. Drone continues to correct XYZ location
  4. Take Photo (Drone at the correct location)
  5. Write Photo
  6. Repeat Step 1

In the case of a actual missing photo (big gap in the Dot Map where it’s obvious there should have been a photo, not a dot that has shifted) looking at one of the DD Logs it looks like it could be taking over 2 seconds for the complete Take Photo process to complete. DJI’s SDK API calls checks to see if the camera is busy, if so what appears to be happening is it skips the photo and moves to the next Photo Location.

I’m still waiting on more examples that we can track down the issue inside the DD logs and opening up a case with DD. I’m still waiting on a few files for the DD engineers in the Shifted Images thread. The steps above was generated from what I seen via the photos the end-user supplied. I took 8 photos wear you could see a distinct area in the photos and from photo to photo the area moved the same distant even though the exif GPS Data was reporting the wrong location.

I’m willing to work with anyone that can supply me a DD Log File and photos (in the area that is missing images, however many to show the issue)