Measuring multiple piles for volume

How can I highlight multiple plies on the same map without having to do each row individually?

A little explanation:

Our Town has a vegetation recycling program which creates 10 wind-rows (about 1,000 feet long - and they very in height , width and length). I make a flight and take all the images - no problem. When I want to get the cubic volume for a single row, again no problem. The problem is if I try to make multiple areas (more than one row) so I can get the total cubic volume of all ten piles at once. I can’t seem to get more than one row marked out.

As it stands now, I have to do the rows one-at-a-time, then note each row’s volume and add them up on paper. There must be a way to get the accumulate total. That is what I am looking to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

How far apart are the rows? Can you digitize them in the shape of an H? Or multiple H’s next to each other? Make sure to get a few points in between and use the triangulated base plane.

Mike

Thanks for the quick response.

They are pretty tight together (about 4-5 feet apart). If I do that like you did, will the measurements be as accurate? (I did use the triangulate method and set many points as I tried to closely set the points at close to where the pile and the ground
met.) To make it easier I attached a PDF of the piles.

Regards,

Donald Janelle

Deputy Director Manchester Emergency Management

Deputy Planning Section Chief, CT 3 IMT

860-647-5259

(Attachment windrowst_FriDec14_17x11.pdf is missing)

Doesn’t look like the PDF came through. As long as there is natural ground in between it will work, but trying to encompass many piles won’t be as accurate as individuals. It should be pretty close though. Try taking of 3 or 4 individuals, then the same all at once and compare. I have learned that you don’t need a ton of points. Try every 50ft or so down the long line.

Mike

I have been trying to send you a JPG of the image - it keeps getting bounce back. Here’s another try.

Regards,

Donald Janelle

860-647-5259

That one worked. This shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks - I will give that a try.

Regards,

Donald Janelle

860-647-5259

:+1: This map makes me happy I am using a drone. I remember surveying these points and then having to climb on top of each pile and trying to shoot in the tops while sinking in. 6-7 hours worth of surveying reduced to 10 minutes. :grinning:

Thanks

because I am relatively new to this. I was marking the pile Real close. (I zoomed in 400%) and followed the contours of the piles real tightly. This method will save a half hour each week! thanks

Regards,

Donald Janelle

860-647-5259

I wouldn’t worry so much about being right on the toe - a foot or two should be plenty close and you will see very little difference in volumes. Try using the elevation map to more clearly see the contour changes.