Mavic Air 2 Elevation Confusion

Hello.

So I did a drone flight with my Mavic Air 2 and it made a really beautiful 3D model of the old rail yard I was photographing but I noticed a problem.

It reversed the high point and the low point of the ground somehow. The highpoint (with an elevation of 147 feet) shows up as -23.02 ft on the map (as in 23 feet below where the drone took off) and the lowpoint on the map shows up as 34.7 ft (real elevation of 140 ft). Other then the high/low point being flipped low/high its also showing a nearly 58ft difference from one extreme to the other when the real difference is only about 7 feet.

I tried using a calibration point to fix it but all that did was screw up the height map.

I am going to try flying the route again in the next few days using a Phantom 4 Pro to see if it still spits out broken data like that.

But hey, the 3D model looks very nice.

EDIT

NVM… the 3D model is janked when exported.

Unfortunately the Mavic Air 2 isn’t supported yet. You can keep up with it in this thread. If you have an account you could email support to see what happened on the processing side. Have you looked at the elevations in the EXIF data?

How did you get the app to work with your MA2? Or did you fly a manual mission?

Welcome to the forum. Please read the thread before you post as the MA2 is not yet supported. As you inquired though you can acquire images with another software and upload them to DroneDeploy. I’m pretty sure Pix4D Mapper supports the MA2 and it’s free to fly. Unfortunately I think they are the only mapping software that does right now. Litchi works, but is more of a general flight app. As long as the images have the correct geolocation information they will process. I know we have people using Yuneec and Autel equipment as well without issues.

Hi Mike

I’ve read the thread; I have also tried to fly my MA2 with the app with obviously no luck. That’s why I asked. Thanks for the heads up on Pix4D, I may give it a shot. I also want to try to find the proper hyperlapse settings to get proper coverage for uploading. I’m sure there has to be a proper interval, I just don’t know what it should be (based on altitude flown).

The reason I mentioned the thread is because literally the last post before yours stated that it’s not supported. I’m not sure what is taken them so long since Pix4D has had if for a couple months now, but there are several others that don’t support it yet either so I guess maybe Pix4D has an inside track.

I have found that every 2 seconds at 15mph and 200ft AGL does a pretty good job with a P4P, but I am not sure what the specs are on your camera. Do you happen to know the FOV? The P4P is 84d diagonally so anything less than that needs to fly a little higher or slower.

1 Like

No worries. I figured as much. There’s a difference between someone being helpful and someone being snide, and I could tell you were being helpful.

1 Like

Hi BuckeyeGuy.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, its been a bit hectic here.

I flew the mission manually and then uploaded the photos separately. I did not have time at the moment to do a planned mission so I flew without one. I did another flight the next day with a planned route using my Phantom 4 Pro which worked brilliantly.

Hi Michael.

I did not look at the elevations in the EXIF data. Once I saw how bad the elevations were I kinda just ignored it and flew the area with the Phantom 4 Pro I have which did a perfect job.

Perhaps I could bring both the Mavic Air 2 and the Phantom 4 Pro scans to the attention of support so they can compare and contrast what went wrong to help program Mavic Air 2 support in. It would probably be helpful to have two scans of the exact same property to speed up the process.

2 Likes