Matrice 200 crash while using drone deploy

I was flying a pre-programmed mission using drone deploy when the drone lost connection with the controller and crashed. It was still on the correct flight path but I had mapped the flight path to be further than what I thought it was visually. The drone flew over a ridge line (where visually I thought it would turn around at) and I lost visual line of sight. It flew over the ridge and appeared to lower it’s altitude but, according to the app, it kept flying for a few seconds. Before I realized what was happening and could call it home I lost connection with the drone. Instead of flying home or continuing the mission, the drone crashed while still on the original flight path. I was flying at 375 feet. When I found the drone it had crashed in a low area well beyond the ridge line.

My question is why did it not continue to fly the mission or return home after losing connection to the controller? It’s as if it tried to land as soon as it lost connection to the controller.

Hi @Brad,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about this situation. We take these situations incredibly seriously, as our success depends on yours. A crashed drone is never a pleasant experience and I want to ensure you that we will provide our best support in order to assist you. I would be more than happy to hop on a phone call to gain more insight and information on your drone crash.

In the meantime, could you please reach out to us at support@dronedeploy.com. When you write in please let us know the map/flight name this drone crash occurred on. Being able to view the DroneDeploy flight logs will allow me to further analyze your crash.

Thank you and please do reach out in the meantime with any questions and I will be more than happy to further assist. Looking forward to speaking with you.

Best,
Kaitlin