Lost connection with Phantom 3 Pro halfway through mission

I’ve lost my drone today because of a lost connection… There’s no information on the app that tells me where my Phantom 3 was when it lost it’s connection and it seems like the app just sets itself up to continue where it left off. I’m working in an area where I can’t zoom in on the map very close because the map provider hasn’t updated the higher resolution imagery for the area I’m working in, There’s no coordinates that I can see of where to look… I’m really really upset, I’ve only had my copter for two weeks and I’ve already lost it in a heavily forested and mountainous area… There’s nothing but trees to interrupt the signal and it had just dropped out of sight when the connection was lost. The app told me the copter was returning home, but it didn’t… If I was using the Drone Deploy app would my flight still have been logged in the DJI Go App? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had a similar issue on Tuesday. The DD app froze about two thirds of the way through the mission showing about 33% of battery life remaining. The strange thing is the video telemetry was still working. My low battery warning sounds started up shortly after and were coming through the app as well. I got a bit worried as I knew it was going to be close with battery life and completing the mission. I attempted to hit the return home button in the app but it was unresponsive. I just switched over to Sport mode and flew it home manually. All photos were taken and it completed the mission. This is the second time this has happened to me and I have done the same method to bring it home.

Latest Version of DD app.
Ipad Mini 1
P4 Latest Version of firmware as of 7/19/2016

Has anyone had any contact with DD Staff on this issue? This is a serious issue and It needs to be addressed.

We have little control over the RC disconnecting. Sometimes this can be due to changes in the DJI firmware, interference, etc. That being said, we do take these comments seriously and are looking at any ways we can improve this. What is weird though is that you say the video is still working. I know this sometimes happens when losing the telemetry feed but we’ll investigate more to see if there is anything we can do.

Chase, is there anything I can do to assist? Is there a flight log file that could be helpful?

I have flown quite a few missions over the same area with other 3rd party mapping apps and they work great. Even when drone deploy disconnects, I still have a connection between the Controller and Phantom, as I can initiate a RTH using the button on the controller. I am more than willing to help diagnose if you need anything. I will admit I am not a paying customer at this point, but I certainly won’t be if it continues to disconnect.

Apologies for the inconvenience @tboutain- thanks for your feedback and patience. Improving our app reliability is an ongoing priority for us, and we appreciate your input.

Same problem here too - app lost connection to drone and became unresponsive. Upside is that the mission completed without error and took all the expected photos, however once I processed the imagery on web app I’m noticing big holes (raised this in a separate topic) and not clear if this is a related issue.

I’m using a P3 Advanced with iOS DD app on iPhone 6

1 Like

Probably not related, but thank you, @Matt_Merrifield. We are working (very!) hard to improve our app.

I found this antenna booster…
http://dbsmods.com/

Im not sure what range people are losing connection, or what the signal strength was at the time…
But this looks pretty good IMHO…

Hello,

We conducted 4 missions before yesterday. I got the message “lost connection” error of 3 missions and DD was blocked on my iphone 6. Luckily the phantom 3 Pro continued and completed its mission. This problem is old and not yet corrected. When you think you can fix this problem permanently.
Thanks in advance.
Jean Louis

Is this still an ongoing issue? I’m hesitant to fly missions with DD and my P4 if there’s a sizable chance it’ll go rogue and I’ll never see it again. Do we have an estimate for how often this occurs? Besides updated firmware etc is there anything else I can do to keep this from happening? Because DJI care doesn’t cover lost drones…

I had a different issue today with the new app version.

The drone stopped taking pictures midway throuth or earlear.

No “lost connection” message was shown, but the number of photos taken stood at 3 at DD app.

Actually, 31 pics was takken and I guess it missed another 60 or so.

Running the latest apps version, updated them today, reset the defaults before start DD.

Exact same problem today with a p3p and a samsung s7. Six flights…camera quits different at different times. Used different tablets…same results.

This is still an issue I lost my drone today lost connection RC connection due to heavy wooded conditions I assumed the drone would continue the mission and come back but did not I’m not sure if the drone stopped at the first waypoint if the drone did try to come back or what, the mission time was a 50 acre area but the timing was under 15 minutes so the battery should’ve been fine for it to come back I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find the drone as this is a heavily wooded area pre commercial thinned timber.
I guess my question is if connection is lost shouldn’t the drone fail over to return to home at bingo battery?

Yes, when the battery is low the autopilot overrides anything else happening and returns home.

Update i confirmed with DD that Drone should have finished mission and after further research realized the drone actually crashed intonhill side as hars to see from where i was and from planning softwar obe corner of the mission was a hillside i have triangulated the approximate position and plan to search for the drone. So my issue is not die to software error but it is due to operator error

Hi Everyone,

We have now updated both our Android and iOS apps. Please do update the app on your device and let us know how things are going.

Best,

Hello guys. I have had many fligths that the drone was disconnected (P3S and P3A). It always arrived home safe. But I have problems with pictures. Every time the drone lost connection and then reconnect it stoped taking pictures. Did it happen to you? Or it was only my problem? Are DD aware of this issue? When fliying without connection the drone keeps taking pictures and on mission, when it reconnects keep on mission but stop taking pictures. Thanks for you time. Carlos.

1 Like

Hi Carlos,

Sorry to hear this. iOS tends to be better for connection. We are continually working to improve reliability - we really want to help you get good imagery for our map engine! :slight_smile: