iOS Beta is finally here!

Gary, I finally got it sorted out - Dumb operator error; I didn’t realize you have to click on “Older” right arrow to get to the page with synched mission - DUH!

A battery gauge was there in the previous firmware, but it was buggy. The gauge went away with v1.4.4 hopefully, it’ll come back, bug free, in the next update.

Glad to see you got that worked out … Excellent!

I experienced the same thing. Tried reloading the page several times.

Hello all! Here is a write up on my first experience using DroneDeploy with my Inspire 1:

Planned on mapping a local draw bridge that connects Oakland to Alameda Island. Using the app was fairly simple and straight forward. I setup my camera settings in the DJI GO app then set the mission path. I didn’t play with any of the settings in beta so once I began the mission I realized there was no altitude info and I didn’t know what the height was set to for. The draw bridge was at least 230 ft tall. I switched back into GPS mode to cancel the mission and flew to one of the towers to manually gets a measurement. Luckily the default height of 248 ft was clear of the towers. I brought my bird home manually. I saw that it had captured 44 images before I canceled the mission.

I changed batteries and restarted the mission. The flight was smooth and landing was fine. Once she landed the message read “0 images captured”. That was a little frustrating as there is no way to monitor if the app is capturing images.

Changed batteries and sent her up a third time hoping the app was controlling the camera. I noticed that while in flight, flight speed was very fast. I hoped the camera was capturing images fast enough to to get a good overlap. Again, I did not play with any settings therefore I did not see the “high overlap” option (which I believe should be the default for best results). Once she completed the mission and landed I saw I captured 144 images. Excellent!

Once I reviewed the images, I saw there was clearly not enough overlap. My primary objective is to create 3D models. The final result was less very poor.

Now that the weather is clear I will go out today and reflux the mission with the high overlap option selected. I will also fly one manually (both flight and camera operation) to ensure I get what I feel is good overlap.

I also wanted to get feedback from staff about incorporating images captured by flying an orbit, around the subject, with the camera pitched at an angle to capture more data. Other than the images captured while flying the mission path, does the mapping engine take into consideration images that are not simply looking straight down?

Hi,

If you upload your oblique images along with the nadir imagery it will incorporate all it can to make the model.

I would be interested to see the result if you upload your second flights images. We capture images at a rate that should be more than enough. Let me know how it turns out.

Hi,
Just installed testflight on my airpad2. Then went to redeem and it said I already redeemed. Then opened testflight and it opened dronedeploy cloud control so I entered user name & pw and I’m getting an error massgage that says ( Error logging in. Check Credentials). I uninstalled the app and reinstalled from the cloud and same thing. Any suggestions.
Thanks

Hi @Johnson. Are you saying that the DroneDeploy app is saying you have the wrong credentials? Did you create a DroneDeploy account? (It is different from the forum account).

I do have an account with DD and tried that email and pw but no luck “yesterday” but now it’s working! Cool, I’ll get started tomorrow!
Thanks for responding chasemgray.

My 1st experience with DD iOS. Set up a couple of missions this morning and they were flawless. It took literally a minute to sync and set up a pattern and 3 minutes to fly it on the first https://www.dronedeploy.com/app/data?planId=568938dcc7da1b000a7b4960 / then 5 minutes on the second https://www.dronedeploy.com/app/data?planId=56893a87c7da1b000a7b4961. The camera was level on takeoff and level on landing. The camera was adjusted for light on DJI Go prior to mission. I was a little worried there were not enough photos being taken but based on the processed results there were. The results were awesome! I’m using an airpad2 and an iPhone 6 for a hotspot and flying a P3P.

I agree with garyn that there needs to be a battery level display. I could see the comfort level getting high and in the heat of the moment overlooking power. The more info the better, especially if it can be customized to the pilots preference on display.

So far So Good!!!

In the latest version of the app, which has been out a week or two, there should be a battery display in the bottom left. Did it not appear for you?

I may have overlooked it. Since it was my 1st run I had my eyes in sky to be ready for any problems. I’ll look on the next run.

Another flawless mission! I’m stoked! The battery display was there and working excellent.

2 Likes

More excellent missions today. I’ve created an account on Sketchfab. When I go there to view my 3D models everything works fine except when I try share thru email. I’m sending to myself at another email address but it never sends even though it say the message has been sent. Any Ideas? I’ve got to make this easy to send and others to receive and manipulate the model at the other end just like I do on DD or SF.

I had another great couple of missions this morning. What is the best way to share the 3D models besides twitter? I’ve created an account on sketchfab and tried to email a link but it doesn’t work. It confirms massage sent but I never receive it at the other end. I would like to share the models with clients and for them to be able to manipulate the model like I do in DD or SF.
Is there a way to get back to the same mission if it gets cut short for whatever reason?

Hi @Johnson, You can continue previous missions if you end them early - documentation on this can be found here: http://support.dronedeploy.com/docs/flying-a-larger-area-with-multiple-batteries

With regards to the sharing - which browser are you using, and is this still a problem for you?

Jono,
I have tried the continue mission feature on the iOS version four times and every time the drone will take off and get about 10 feet off the ground and then the app will crash. I have tried this on small areas around 35 acres and on an area around 280 acres with the same result each time. I have noticed that the drone flies better on the iOS version than it does on the Android version. Thank you.

Registered today. Applied for iOS beta invitation. Excited to be a member of this forum, and become familiar with this technology.

We tried flying the inspire pro today , planned a small mission. App went through the check list no issues but would not fly. Tried this a few times different sequences same issue checklist fine but nothing happens and no errors. Tried taking the pro to 5 meters same thing

Good Afternoon,

We just went out to test our Matrice 100 with the iOS Beta and we can’t even get the mapping process started. We have tried and online and offline map. The problem occurs after the flight pattern is determined and its going through its pre-flight check. All check out except the ‘Mission’ which then gives the error that it timed out creating the waypoints. We would love to use our matrices with iOS for mapping. Any pointers on what we maybe doing wrong? All seems correct on our end.

The official matrice support with the new sdk we are using should work with the matrice but we haven’t had a chance to test it. We will talk with the DJI sdk team to see what we need to do to make it work.