Import Orthomosaic Maps

Allow the ability to import orthomosaics as an additional map to explore and compare to the maps processed in DD. Currently you can import a CAD overlay such as PNG but the system attempts to identify and erase the background of the drawing. Allow a geotagged orthomosaic to be imported in the same way but unaltered and if not geotagged allow manual alignment but without attempting to convert certain colors in the image to a transparent background.

1 Like

I believe this is possible? Overlay…

Consultant, this is already implemented. When viewing a project in a folder with multiple maps you can compare the two maps to one another.

temp

Or is this what you mean? The link to “Upload your GeoTIFF here.”

1 Like

Yes, that works as long as it’s geotagged. I mistakenly mentioned uploading geotagged files. What I was looking for is the ability to upload a non-geotagged file, manually align it with an existing map, and use the compare feature to compare between the two. Not possible.

An non-georeferenced orthomosaic? I would doubt that it would be very accurate or line up unless it was exported from a georeferenced map. I have tried Microsoft ICE and while it stitches well it produces a product as you are mentioning and it is increasingly garbage as site get larger.

I started out with ICE and but realistically the end product is only a picture. Not much can be done from that.

You can put them in Bluebeam and scale them, but they are still not geometrically correct through every measurement that you can make. Just because you scaled two points across the map doesn’t mean that all of the relativity in the middle will match. It may be close and close enough, but not too the inch like true orthos.

And this is why I run so many GCP’s / Checkpoints. Anyone who suspects they are going to get an accurate elevation model with just 4 GCP’s around the perimeter is nuts.

1 Like

It depends on how big the site is, but yes you normally do want at least one in the center. It also depends on whether or not you are using RTK/PPK. My rule of thumb is 4 at all times and one for every 10 acres. 10 acres = 5 and 100 acres = 15, without PPK.

It also depends on your height AGL. The lower you fly the more GCP’s you are going to need.

What about checkpoints? I feel that its best to do a planned layout before going to site to make sure you can utilize checkpoints to prove GCP error. On the same token I do a lot of work for survey companies and they want absolutes and I can usually provide that to 0.02’ but I use a lot of GCP’s and multiple flight patterns. I have to be 100% in the data before they put a stamp on it.

We are comfortable enough with our process that we don’t use checkpoints for normal progress surveys. Verifying lots, final asbuilts and drone services for surveyors always require checkpoints. Surveyor work requires PPK logs as well.