Highly detailed model of a Church

I made a highly detailed model of a nearby church by flying and taking photos anywhere from 100ft AGL to within 10 feet of what I was taking photos of.

11 Likes

Awesome… May I ask how you captured your DD screen for YouTube … ICN3D

1 Like

It appears as though you weren’t executing a DD flight plan. Is that correct? You were just flying manually and taking photos?

1 Like

I used Open Broadcaster System (OBS). It can record your desktop and its free.

1 Like

I did a mix of both. There is a basic scan at 125ft AGL using the structure settings (the church steeple is 100ft plus a windvane). To get additional detail out of the model I flew the drone manually, especially for the statue itself.

1 Like

Cool ….Thanks, I would like to add I liked how you Focused on the Subject (Church) and left the tree in the far corner Abstract that adds a nice touch!

2 Likes

Thank you for the additional information.

2 Likes

Really impressive! Thanks for sharing @JedThone

1 Like

That is awesome!! How many total photos for this project?

2 Likes

Only 331 pictures. Not all that many.

2 Likes

Can you describe your flight plan? Might be a good learning tool…

1 Like

Hey Jed, I just wanted to follow up on this and see if you wouldn’t mind sharing your details about your flight plan and ground photos acquired for this model. It is well done. Did you do a double grid and what angle was your camera? (ie 70°). How many and what types of obliques did you take? Thanks again for sharing a nice end product. Looking forward to part 2 of show and tell :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is absolutely killing. Would you mind detailing your procedure for getting these results ? I am using the freebie version at the moment but my results are unuseable so far. Might have something to do with the limited resolution on the free version.

2 Likes

The resolution for the Explorer tier will make a bit of a resolution difference, but won’t cause things to look ‘melty’ or unusuable - when that happens, there is usually not enough side coverage or coverage of every nook and cranny

1 Like

Ha haaa brilliant thanks, I was starting to suspect that as I have tried everything else. Thanks again for your help.

2 Likes

incredible! I am trying to make a detailed model.

2 Likes

Post removed by moderator.

That is very impressive, and what I am trying to do. So… do you manually fly and take photos or do you use the hyperlaps. I tried the hyperlaps but it only takes about 45 (over 4 min ish) at a time then puts them in a folder. I can only seem to upload one folder to DD to stitch together. Wondering if manually pressing the photo button is the only way to go.
Thanks

1 Like

I think one of the main factors in the high resolution is the close proximity to the objects. Normally we are flying at 200-250ft and that captures shapes with minimal detail. It would be interesting to hear how many photos were taken, but the new Enhanced 3D Mode at 100ft AGL and some select manual shots should do this no problem. When taking the manual shots you will want 5 of each specific area slightly offset from each other. You can do this horizontally and vertically. Don’t forget orbits around cylindrical structures. The closer you are the more detail.

1 Like

I am prity new to all this, I am trying what you described now, I should know if it worked in the am…

2 Likes