High resolution landscape imagery

Although I have previous and successful mapping experience with DJI Phantom 3 Pro and DroneDeploy app, this time I would like to employ a Mavic 2 Pro. The idea is to shot a sequence of RAW images for further processing and stitching to obtain truly high resolution, wall size landscape image. More art piece than a map. Am I on the right path? Would DD deliver RAW files at all?

Hi Matt! DroneDeploy does not shoot in RAW. Are you trying to make a wall-size print/wrap of an orthomosaic map or just an aerial scene in general? If you can shoot in RAW Microsoft ICE stitches nicely in various formats.

1 Like

Michael, thank you for response. No, orthomosaic map is not my goal, just the plain view straight down, stitched with - say - 30 images. These must be shot RAW with 45mm lens at 5 sec intervals while Inspire 2 will move follow lawnmower pattern slow enough to avoid blur. I guess I’m asking for too much :slightly_smiling_face:

What you are describing is how you make an orthomosaic map. I just wanted to make sure we were still talking about mapping and you weren’t wanting a vertical panorama or standard oblique image.

and later on you say

Which is it?

Either way, you should note that a 45mm lense is quite a bit higher zoom than what most drones used for mapping have. This means that the FOV is decreased and it will take either more altitude or a slower flight speed to capture typical values, but…

Is really slow… A more standard interval is 2-3 seconds at 10-15mph.