Height curve from Google using QGIS. Is it possible?

The gigs are piling up. I got another Volume job today om measuring volume on some ten piles of gravel in various dimensions. The piles are actually visible from Google Earth since the area in question was oveflown and depicted by Googles satellites August 24 2019. So i thought i’ll prepare for the capture.
But I’d also need height curves from the area in question. I suspect a few of the piles are in rather steep slopes which raises a later discussion on which method to use), but I cannot tell util I can get som info.
I’ve tried to export a GeoTiff from the area using Google earth pro and import it to QGIS, but it fails every time. I’ve tried to export a Geotiff from the Google base map in QGIS and add the xport as a new layer and at least get some height curves. Fail.
Is this even possible?
A hint or a nice link would be appreciated.

Take care!

R

1 Like

If you’re looking for the cross-sections of the piles so that you can manually calculate the volumes the Google Earth surface is not going to be accurate enough and the surface itself probably wasn’t updated even though the imagery has because it comes of a calculate model referenced to the current Geoid which is old. This is where a quick flight would be much more accurate and efficient. Then you do the calculations in DroneDeploy or a CAD software.

@MichaelL. Actually I was more thinking about to get to know how even the ground is and if it is as I suspect that a couple of the piles are in a slope.
But you are right. Thanks for pointing this out for me.

Still 1 meter of snow. Will take a while…

1 Like

You would think you could see a significant grade break visually by shadows and erosion, but just looking at the elevations provide with the terrain option on will show a little bit of how the plane is tilting at that point.

You could also use the Geoid12B plug-in for Google Earth to get more accurate spot grades.

Geoid12B GE Plugin

I"ll try the plugin. Thank you! :blush:

R

Roger Waara

Human Teknologi AB

1 Like

Didn’t understand how to use the plugin. Crappy description.

Something made me question whether or not it works in my part of the world…

R

Roger Waara

Human Teknologi AB

1 Like