Flight plans missing in iOS app and browser

Summary of Issue:
Flight plans are going missing within my app. They sometimes show up briefly when I restart the app, but quickly disappear. This has occurred with several of my flight missions, both completed (flown) and planned only.

Date Issue Began:
Unknown. On latest DD version, but occurred prior to latest update also.

Drone Model:
Various DJI (Mavic, Inspire 1 v2 etc.)

Mobile Device Model and OS version:
iPhone 6 / iOS 10.3.3
Chrome 62.0.3202.94 / Windows 10

Hi @mattell,

Thanks for swinging by the DroneDeploy Forum. I’ve escalated your issue to the appropriate team for investigation. If we need more info or if I have any to share, I’ll come back right here.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi @mattell,

Can you share the names of a few flight plans that have this issue? We’d like to see if we can reproduce it on our end.

If at all possible, providing a video of this issue occurring would be extremely helpful as well.

Thanks,
Christina

The latest plan to exhibit this behaviour is called “Putinka 1 Post Sunny”.

Here is a Dropbox link to a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nukf6g0q993ho49/File%2014-12-17%2C%2008%2001%2023.mov?dl=0

Thanks for sharing this, @mattell. I’ve shared your video with my team for investigation. Hopefully we’ll be able to provide some insight soon.

Cheers,
Christina

1 Like

Hi @mattell,

Did you change the name of the plan “Puntinka 1 Post Sunny”? My team was unable to locate this flight plan.

Can you clear the cache from your DroneDeploy app by logging in and out of your account? Let me know if this behavior persists after.

Keep me posted,
Christina

Not exactly, I copied from another flight and then renamed it so that it wasn’t called “Copy of…”. However it looks like you have spelled it incorrectly above.

Logging in and out was the first troubleshooting step I tried before posting here.

Hm, we did not see “Putinka 1 Post Sunny” either. What was it renamed to? Also, does this only happen when you copy flight plans?

That is what it was renamed to. The original name was Copy of <whatever it was I copied from - probably the other Putinka Forest plan>.

Not sure if it only happens to copied plans. I do a lot of copies as I fly the same sites multiple times.

Are you able to test and see if the issue occurs with a newly created flight plan that is not a copy of another, @mattell?

Hi, sorry for delay. Issue just happened again today.

1. Created new mission in iOS app (no WiFi or data connectivity at the time). Mission saved successfully.
  2. Went to view mission and edit again while online.
  3. Mission has disappeared from iOS app and also not showing in browser.

It was also interesting to note that the missing Putinka 1 Post Sunny mission was visible in the app while I was offline today.

Thanks,

Hi @mattell,

Apologies for the delayed response. We’re catching up from our holiday break so things are a bit slower than usual. I’ve escalated your issue to our engineering team for review.

If we need more info or have some insight to share, I’ll post here.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi @mattell,

This issue is quite interesting and difficult for our engineers to debug since the info pretty much exists only on your phone. Can you try the following?

1. Start the app without internet (I suggest using Airplane Mode) so the flight plans that typically disappear show up and stay on the panel.
  2. Copy one of those flight plans. It should appear on the dashboard with a message like “Upload queued, waiting for internet”.
  3. Click on the plan to view it and then disable Airplane Mode on your device.
  4. Wait at least a minute, then return to the dashboard.
  5. Check to see if the copied flight plan is there even though the original is not.

Keep me posted,
Christina

Hi @Christina.

Sorry for the delay. I followed the steps you outlined above, and the copy of the missing flight plan is NOT shown in the dashboard once the device is switched back to online mode.

So basically any plan which is created/copied while offline, is not available when the device is connected to Internet.

Hope you can assist further.

Matt

Thanks for testing and posting your results @mattell. I’ve shared your results with an engineer for review. It’s been particularly difficult to find the root of this issue since the data pretty much only exists on your phone. Offline planning and syncing offline data is especially tricky.

Hi Widcha,

I’m very sorry to hear about your drone. I’d like to investigate the cause with you and see if your flight logs are retrievable via the device you were using. I’ve sent you a private message so I can better assist you. I look forward to helping you!

Thank you,
Stephanie