First map made. Learning Lakes!

Hi, I’ve been experimenting with Drone Deploy making a map of a fishery for a client so they can monitor the reed beds and underwater terrain to aid Carp fishing. Both myself and my client are happy with the result. However i’ve been reading that water is a notoriously difficult subject to map. I will be doing more research no doubt but any tips beyond the normal fly high would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats! Yes, water is always troublesome because of the lack of features and it’s reflective nature. You will see that parts of the surface that have vegetation or some sort of feature are fine. On a perfectly still day I have actually had clouds show up as reflections in my model. if your client isn’t opposed to trying something maybe you can devise some sort of net/bouy or object that can be temporarily put onto the surface of the water to be captured. Otherwise I would just use a Point Cloud Editor to remove any spikes or pits.

1 Like

An overcast calm day is the best to eliminate glare and moving waves that are hard to stitch.
If it all has visible reference features like the lower area shown above, that will help in stitching, otherwise flying higher (near 400 ft) can help over deeper homogeneous water to get more shoreline reference features in to use in alignment and stitching.

2 Likes

@MichaelL @Gary @RedFoxDrones Great responses! Water is definitely a hard material to map due to the natural reflective properties. However, Michael and Gary’s suggestions are promising! Good luck!