First map. Autel XSP. Suggestions?

http://drdp.ly/NzZXW2

Finally pulled the trigger and used my XSP to do a waypoint mission over a test field. Took pictures every 5 seconds, speed between waypoints was around 19-21 mph. The field is some sort of hay that was cut and left laying there to dry, so it was all brown and, of course, dead at the time of the flight.

I uploaded 42 shots to my trial account here on DD, so the timer has started! :slight_smile:

I’ve looked at all the different views; can some of you take a look and let me know if things look “correct”? I honestly don’t know what to be looking for.

I’m definitely curious to learn the in’s and out’s of agricultural mapping; I’d like to eventually provide this service.

Thanks!

1 Like

HI,

You should check out their FAQ page to educate yourself on the ins and outs of this technology.

Their blog is also very helpful with a whole section on Agriculture.

Thanks! I’ve looked over those already, so I guess I didn’t ask the correct questions. What I’m actually wanting to know is the following:

1. Did this map turn out at a high enough resolution that it would be useful in assessing plant health, etc.?
  2. This mission “only” produced 42 pictures, and several of those are from when the drone was turning to the next waypoint. Is this enough pictures to make an accurate map?
  3. How can I tell if these pictures have the recommended 70% or more overlap?
  4. I ran this mission at 197’ AGL. Should I have run it lower and gotten more pictures?

The guides you posted don’t go into enough detail to answer these.

My main goal is to figure out if my XSP is capable of producing agricultural mappings that would be useful enough to provide the service to local farmers.

All great questions! Very cool to see you experimenting with the Autel XSP. It looks like your map turned out very well – the only issues I see are some holes and warping in the trees at the edge of the field. The area of the field itself looks high quality and should be usable for assessing plant health-- I would suggest sharing it with a local grower and asking him how he thinks it could be useful.

Here are some thoughts on your questions:

Resolution. In agriculture, resolution usually isn’t very important unless your are counting individual plants or doing stand establishment analysis (and even in these cases, you rarely need to fly below 250 ft). Growers often fly higher (up to 400 ft) which produces lower resolution maps but allows them to cover larger areas in shorter flights and deal with smaller data sets.

Overlap. Calculating overlap is tough, but you can eyeball it by clicking the toggle next to “images” on your map. Ultimately, what matters is whether you get a complete map. If you see holes or warping, try more overlap. If the map stitches just fine, your overlap is OK. Keep in mind though that you may need higher overlap with more homogenous areas like later-stage crops.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Anya; just the info I was looking for! That pretty much proves that the Autel platform works with DD, which is a very happy discovery for me.

I will continue to test out mapping for the rest of the trial period, and attempt to contact some local growers, show them the possibilities, and - as you suggest - ask how they think it could be useful.

Who knows; maybe I’ll have a few clients by the time the trial runs out and will “have” to buy a subscription! :grin:

1 Like

Hey WildDoktor,

Just curious, but is your goal to view plant health by visual inspection? I’m not sure that is something a farmer would find useful, but I could be wrong. Wouldn’t you want to provide them multispectral or hyperspectral camera data instead?

Also, curious how you made out since this is 3 years later :slight_smile:

2 Likes