File Naming Options

Hi,

I’m wondering if there is a way or something you could work on or are working on that would allow your application to name the files/images it takes during a flight plan. It’s a housekeeping nightmare completing several missions then looking through DJI_0001 to DJI_0999 created across several MEDIA001, MEDIA002 directories. My assumption is that your using some sort of standard DJI API to let ‘it’ name the files on a mission and then we have to figure out which ones were from which mission then upload then to the correct one on the desktop app.

It would be great if the files created were titled as the Mission Plan title for example: Farm Field XYZ_1 and them have the files be consecutive in name to the end of the plan.

Not sure if this is something that can be done now and I’ve missed it or not but any info would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ken

1 Like

Perhaps you could temporarily solve this by having several SD cards to switch.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yeah, that’s the solution I’m going with, for now, I’ll buy a few 16GB SD’s, fiddly little things though to label even with a fine marker pen! And then there is the logging which card number had which flight unless I start from SD1 every time for the day I do my flights which means also housekeeping and making sure I copy everything off them before then formatting them before each flight.

Just a pain in the backside, just would have thought with todays tech, I can ask a machine to order a loaf of bread, I can have my heating turned on when I’m within 10 miles of my home and the microwave set to heat up my ‘space meal’ which will allow me to survive on something the size of a pea for a week…but I can’t get a file to be named the same as the project I’m working on with a sequential number at the end of it.

Anyway, hey ho, just feels like I’m back to MS DOS…V1 :wink:

I don’t think this has anything to do with DD, they’d want to do it, or DJI would let them do it. This is a base function of the DJI system. You get to that left of interaction and you are probably asking for more trouble than it is worth.

Hi,

I fully agree on the DD side of this Chascoadmin, hence:

“I’m wondering if there is a way or something you could work on or are working on that would allow your application to name the files/images it takes during a flight plan”

Of course it’s part of the DJI base system, just wondered if DD could ‘enhance’ somehow. It was a feature request, they’ve, DD, already programmed a way to use DJI’s SDK to fly an aircraft around the skies taking pictures, taking off itself, landing itself, using all the functions the SDK has to offer and thought it would be a good request ‘if possible’ to name the images it takes a certain way like the project name.

Anyway, let see what they say, if not I accept it, if so then great.

Cheers

Hi,

On a quick look on the DJI Developer site it does throw up a ‘callback’ for Android, not sure about iOS that can assist in naming the files:

getCamera().setDJICameraGeneratedNewMediaFileCallback()

I’m sure a variable could be popped in there somewhere to contain the DD project name and a sequential number, ‘IF’ this is the correct callback! I’m no developer…

Just surprised others haven’t asked for this as a feature, maybe I’m doing to much work and collecting too many images…I wish.

Cheers

Yes, DJI controls the file naming convention, not Drone Deploy.

Hi,

Any DD person like to answer??

Gary, I know this, hence every file being named DJI_0001 then upwards.

DJI doesn’t just control the naming convention, they control the drone, lock stock and barrel, that’s why DD and every other company have to use their SDK to program their own software to be able to control it!

Seems like I’ve just asked if DD could paint my house for me…I was simply asking a question on IF this is possible, it may be possible and that there is no intention to ever change this OR someone on here can categorically inform me that this function is impossible to ever be implemented. I haven’t had this confirmed that is all, just some non-confirmable comments added to what I believe was a constructive initial wondering.

Anyway, thanks Bill for at least giving me a positive suggestion and if either chascoadmin or Gary are actual developers from DD then can you clarify if you actually know that this really is an impossible thing to achieve then great, that’s all I needed, if not, can someone kindly from DD who really does know if this is possible or not and will or won’t be implemented please get back to me on this, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi @DRNE.UK,

I can verify that @Gary is an authorized user and his responses should take the same weight as anyone with a DroneDeploy employee badge. @chascoadmin is a valued member of our community and respected by my team and colleagues as well, and has done a great job helping others. I kindly ask that you respect any and all members of this space, regardless of whether or not they are a DroneDeploy employee. We are all here to learn from and help each other out and oftentimes @Gary or @chascoadmin are able to answer questions I’m unable to with greater detail. :slight_smile:

In regards to your question, the feature you’re asking about is not available and I do not have any news or updates to share on whether it will be. I’ll relay the request to the appropriate team.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi Christina,

I wasn’t expecting this type of response, I’ve been respectful, I’m trying to get a point across diplomatically here but it doesn’t seem to be getting through or you are not understanding my point here.

Due to your response, I’d like this to be escalated please as a formal customer complaint. Please let me know how I or you can make this happen. I don’t believe my feedback and concerns are being handled correctly.

Regards,

Ken

Hi @DRNE.UK,

I’m the Community Manager here, and I don’t take this lightly. I will send you a private message to get some more info about the issues you’re experiencing.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi Christina,

I can see that from your title but I need to go higher than yourself as I’m not happy with your response. I simply need you to describe a method where I can escalate this.

Regards,

Ken

Hi Christina,

I’ve replied in a PM to your PM but please, I can’t believe that between yourself as a Forum Community Manager and the CEO of DroneDeploy you have no further line management hierarchy. That’s all I’m after.

Thanks

Hi @DRNE.UK,

Thanks for getting back to my PM. Again, I’d like to reinstate that it is not my attention to make it seem like your request or feedback was not getting tended to. I apologize if it came across this way. I have done the most I can in this instance with your request, which is share it with our product team for consideration. Though, that is no guarantee that this will be put on our roadmap.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi Christina,

You entered this conversation purely at the defence of a ‘Valued Member’ of the forum. If you had or if Gary or Chascoadmin had answered in a complete way then we wouldn’t be having this discussion now. Due to the responses and the way you got involved and the response you gave still hasn’t answered my question on file naming, is it possible? All three of you could have simply stated you do not have the technical understanding of the DJI SDK and what functions it does or doesn’t provide so you will gladly pass it on to your own developers to investigate and get back to me.

That didn’t happen and by the time we got to that stage it became a messaging fight between three of you and one of me. As a customer, I’d like this to be highlighted to someone in DroneDeploy as I don’t feel the responses or service has been acceptable.

So please, other than me now getting the number to ring your head office, is there a way to email my complaint to someone higher in charge of the Forum as a whole that you know of, if not then I’ll go the phone route.

Regards,

Ken

Apologies Christina, I believed that was a response within the PM, it wasn’t meant to be sent for public viewing and not intentional.

Regards,

Ken

Hi @DRNE.UK,

I answered the post since you asked for a DroneDeploy team member to respond in one of your responses. I believe I’ve answered your question as well in regards to file naming. This is not something that is an available feature at the moment. The best I can do is share that with our product team for visibility.

As for everything else, I’m looping in our Support Manager, @Nipul to handle your request.

Cheers,
Christina

Hi Christina,

You found someone above you! Thank you.

I know the feature isn’t available at the moment, I wasn’t requesting a feature that was already available, why would I do that? I was stating it wasn’t available but questioning if it was "technically possible’ and if so would it be considered in the future. I understand that technical possible and business need ‘implementable’ are two different things but I’d still like the answers.

I assume @Nipul will be either adding to this or sending a PM to me so let’s see if I get a satisfactory customer care way forward here as this is now the issue.

Regards,

Ken

Just as an aside, I’d only just put a five star review on the Apple App Store for you guys but will be updating it very soon based on this so waiting to hear from you @Nipul.

Hi @DRNE.UK,

I just sent you a PM. Looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Nipul