Drone battery exchange during prolong mapping

when battery is low on a prolonged mapping job will the drone return home on its own or must the pilot bring it back manually?

1 Like

Hey @lyman1,

Thats a great question! When your battery starts to get low your remote control will start to warn you with beeping and the battery icon on the app dashboard will turn red. You should then press the home button either on the app itself (see below) or on your remote control.

00%20PM

If you would like to see the steps on how to do a battery change I would encourage you to read our documentation on Mapping Large Areas. Hope this was helpful!

1 Like

Along with the above, it’s good practice to hit RTH in the app and bring it home between 25 - 30% battery when it has just passed a waypoint near you to optimize flight time and make sure you have enough battery left if it is far away and fighting a headwind. I always intercede with the RTH in the app and don’t wait for the program to do it. Just a safety precaution.

2 Likes

In the drone deploy app, after the battery change does the mapping automatically begin where it left off or does that need to be done manually?

1 Like

It will begin at the last waypoint (endpoint) it passed when it came home to change the battery.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Gary, kinda figured that would be the case but I always like to check up on details when possible.

1 Like

I’m a 25 to 30%r myself. I’d much rather lose a couple of minutes than a couple of thousand dollars lol.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this and am only asking instead of trying because I don’t want something bad to happen.

Can you switch to sport mode (Mavic 2 Pro with dedicated S/P/T switch), then land where you want manually (somewhere away from the “home point”), swap the batteries, then continue?

1 Like