Distance between waypoint is too close

Good day,

I was trying to look for answer but didn’t find any. I was flying a heavy project with mapping a site with perimeter 3D and crosshatched 3D activated. I flew the entire project for 2 hrs and when it came back for landing after being done with the photo captures and only have the perimeter left with the following message on take off :

Flight Plan Error

“distance between two adjacent waypoints is too close”

I am 2 hrs in the project and also 6 batteries in. Now it’s asking me to retry or cancel the mission. I seriously do not want to start my entire mission all over just because of this.

does anyone has a solution???
I’m using Mavic Pro 2 with Ipad Mini IOS did the planning at home and flew the mission with the Ipad.

Thanks

1 Like

What DD version, what iPad Mini and what iOS version?

I am going to pin this thread and request that anyone who has had this issue please share their flight plan. This has only been reported a handful of times, but I think that it is probably more prevalent than we know and is probably due to some specific set of mission configurations.

The DD version is 2.54.1

the iPad 4 Mini and IOS 13.3.1

Do I need to press “Reply” the mission since I can’t press continue? If I do so Would I still be able to upload all my Data and just have the missing perimeter? which was all that missing from the 3hrs of shooting. How do I share my flight plan.

Cheers

1 Like

The version 2.54.1 is the web app, what is you mobile app version? 4.3.1?

I would try getting out of DroneDeploy completely and re-opening. Most of the time it will ask you if you want to continue. In that case your perimeter would be preserved and the map would show up under the Upload section.

Sharing is at the bottom of the navigation pane in the Explore section.

Version Mobile is 4.3.2. i’ve tried quitting the app and relaunching on site and it didn’t help. even tried to log on from my iphone on IOS and samething happened I couldn’t see any different. I’ll share the map if I manage to upload data? even though it didn’t finish? is that possible?

Understood.

You can manually upload the photos. Just click on the upload section and choose map upload. You will have to configure the perimeter around the shots that were taken.

You use low height and more overlapping.
Please decrease overlapping in low height.

1 Like

This happens to me every time I use the kml file upload process! The mobile app version I use is 4.1.0 which was updated on 27 January 2020, and released on 19 Aug 2015, I canot see any other version available in playstore. I am flying a Mavic Pro with Android Galaxy S8+ mobile, running Android Version 9. I normally export the kml file from my GIS software, Global Mapper, but have tried saving he kml file directly from Google Earth, with the same result. I have also tried using a shp file exported from my GIS but that just locks the whole program up! This issue always occurs at the first battery change. The only way I have found to get around this issue is to manually draw my flight plan within DD. Very frustrating!

1 Like

Would it be possible to share some of your files? If this is happening consistently then it has to be something in the process. We use KML import to define every flight based on the project’s CAD linework and have never seen this ourselves.

Could it be that the kml or shapefile you are importing contains two identical polygons that overlap each other? Or is it possible that the kml or shapefile contains two separate polygons (near each other)? I found that I would need to modify the two separate polygons into one (i.e., via a small corridor) before uploading to DD. In any case, I found that the cleaner the polygon and lesser the nodes, the better the import and flight plan.

1 Like

I create all of ours on Google Earth Pro and never have any issues.

Yes, GE works fine when creating one-offs. But I’ve run into problems when exporting a parcel boundary data out of GIS. In certain cases parcel boundaries might be “doubled up” and you could easily export two polygons.

The other scenario is when exporting certain GIS features you can get a ton of vertices along curved sections of the polygon. This could be a problem for DD interpretation of waypoints.

I’m not sure I understand one-offs? Aren’t all flight plans a one-off that get’s flown many times. We export directly out of CAD to Google Earth and out of QGIS as an SHP file. Most GIS tools have a convert to KML function which is what you all may be talking about isn’t working? If parcels and layers are labeled correctly it should be very easy to export the right entity. As far as vertices go I have never seen a well-drawn shape have vertices that were too close. You can also decimate curves and arcs in QGIS. This is why I asked for some sample files. Beyond that there’s not much we can do but guess.

By one-offs I mean that you go into GE, draw a polygon, and export it as a KML. Yes, you end up using it many times over in DD.

If you’ve ever exported a parcel polygon with curves (following a winding road, or water feature perhaps) you can get many vertices along that edge, sometimes so many that they’re hard to even edit and delete.

These were just similar issues that I had run into in the past. I’m not sure if the outcomes are the same, and, as you stated, we need more information.

1 Like

Are parcel boundaries with curved-lines very common in your area? Why not drop those boundaries into your software of choice and quickly draw a new polygon over it with your flight plan in mind? Seems like a simple solution. You’re going to build your flight plan larger than the boundary anyway.

Parcels that are adjacent to a roadway almost always do unless it is just a straight stretch of highway, but in my opinion this isn’t a big deal because a new shape with tangents is very easy to create and the drone isn’t going to follow a curve anyway. In my opinion roads don’t apply because they should be considered linear flight and the drone doesn’t have to follow those curves exactly either.

Just some lessons learned. Always a good idea to simplify the boundaries before export, either in a GIS or GE.

By the way, another source of multi-vertice edges is through buffering in GIS. Some techniques will round polygon corners, especially outside buffers.

2 Likes

Was a solution ever found for this topic? I just flew the first battery of a two battery flight and after changing batteries the drone would not take off again due to the waypoint distance error. It had no trouble doing the first part of the flight and I did not edit or change the flight plan in anyway.
Mobile version - 4.1.0 - 4.1.0
Mavic pro
Nvidia shield k1 tablet

1 Like

Since I’m only seeing this reported by Mavic Pros I’m not sure what to do except for engaging support directly. Was the flight planned in drone deploy or was it imported in from a file?