Difference between DD camera and DJIGO4 settings

I was just wondering what the difference is using the set camera function in DD or DJIGO4. And does the camera auto focus before each shot or does it automatically go to infinity for normal altitude missions at say 40m +?

Hi @Grizz,

Thanks for swinging by the Forum with your question! The DroneDeploy app sets the auto-focus to infinity for all missions, but you can customize the camera functions in DJIGO. Your custom settings in DJIGO will transfer to the DroneDeploy app (i.e. focus, exposure, shutter speed, etc.). Let us know if you have any further questions about this.

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Can you please inform me of the proper workflow for wanting to use the manual settings from DJI Go 4? I have an Inspire 2 with X5S. I’ve tried several things but I’m not sure what is correct and I keep running into issues. Should I take off in Go4, set my focus and exposre, land, close Go 4, open DD, set the DD switches to use Go 4 exposure and focus settings, then start the mission? Should I leave both apps open? I can’t find any information anywhere about what the proper workflow is when wanting to use the Go 4 focus and exposure settings. I’ve tried launching with Go 4 setting everything, landing, closing Go 4… but then when i do that, sometimes my gimbal goes sideways. I could really use some help. Thank you!

Does anyone know the proper workflow for wanting to use the manual settings from DJI Go 4? I have an Inspire 2 with X5S. I’ve tried several things but I’m not sure what is correct and I keep running into issues. Should I take off in Go4, set my focus and exposure, land, close Go 4, open DD, set the DD switches to use Go 4 exposure and focus settings, then start the mission? Should I leave both apps open? I can’t find any information anywhere about what the proper workflow is when wanting to use the Go 4 focus and exposure settings. I’ve tried launching with Go 4 setting everything, landing, closing Go 4… but then when I do that, sometimes my gimbal goes sideways. I’ve had that happen on a couple of flights. The 90s look ok but then when it’s taking perimeter shots they are all out of whack and then when it lands I see the camera is crooked. I didn’t notice this originally because I was starting the missions in the air but when I tried to set the settings in Go 4 and then land and open DD, I immediately saw the gimble go sideways when I closed Go 4. I could really use some help. Thank you!

Hi @jllewis,

1. Take off with DJI GO.
  2. Fly to mission altitude.
  3. Point camera at the ground.
  4. Tap the screen to focus.
  5. Land the drone.
  6. Close DJI GO.
  7. Open DroneDeploy app.
  8. Ensure that the plan’s “Set Focus Manually in DJI Go” toggle is enabled.
  9. Fly with DD as you normally would.

I hope these instructions are more clear. Happy flying!

Best,
Stephanie

Thank you Stephanie. That’s actually exactly what I was doing. The problem is that sometimes when I do that and close DJI Go 4, my gimbal goes crooked and is then messed up for the entire DD flight. Have you had any problems with this?..or heard of this? I’ve watched two people use DD, myself and another pilot from another company and both of our Inspires (his a 1 and mine a 2) have done this weird gimbal thing from time to time. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi Stephanie,

Did you get a chance to look at my other comment on here? I also have another question. DD is killing me lol. I am spending so much time and I keep getting bad maps. I’ve come to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter which lens you use, you have to fly high enough that you capture a big enough area with each photo or it won’t stitch right. If I’m using the stock DJI I2 lens (17mm I believe) is there a good suggested altitude that I can fly to get the best resolution of the roof as possible? So far my best map is around 100 feet. I wanted closer shots but it seems any closer and it doesn’t stitch right. I want my client to really see as much detail as possible of the roof. I have the stock lens, a 25 mm and a 45 mm.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @jllewis,

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen or heard similar reports about the gimbal behavior you’re experiencing. You might try updating your camera firmware and resetting the camera (option is right next to reformatting SD card in the DJI Go app). If the problem persists, I recommend contacting DJI Support directly as it does not seem to be related to the DroneDeploy software.

We always recommend flying higher to facilitate the stitching process. The minimum altitude I recommend flying at is at least 120 feet, but the best maps we’ve seen (and mapped) have all been at 250-350ft. If you haven’t already, I invite you to review our Making Successful Maps guide for techniques and best flight practices that should improve your map results.

Happy flying!

Best,
Stephanie