Create model and calculate slope from a single pass of a road?

We’d like to fly a relatively long road in a single pass free fly, i.e. not a grid, and generate a (3D) model with the imagery. Is this possible or do we have to fly a grid to create a model? The model is required to be used to calculate slope (if that’s also possible). Please advise on those 2 points; thanks very much!

2 Likes

There is Corridor flight on iOS. Can you share a little bit about what you are using? Typically for just plans and a decent model, we will run up one side of the right away and down the other. This supplies plenty of overlaps so that it is a decent reconstruction. If we really need detail and can abide by regulations, we will run three lanes with one of them being down the center line. But we are not able to do this in DroneDeploy yet because they are only allowing odd number flight lines. @Jamespipe @Andrew_Fraser

Thanks for your response. We’re using a DJI Phantom 4 and an iPad Pro. It’s a dirt road in a rural area. On similar flights we’ve done either the ‘follow me’ mode for video or just free fly video from behind the truck. This project has additional requirements.
Sounds like at least 2 passes are required though.

2 Likes

In that case I think Corridor is going to get what you need. I would try to run 4 if it’s feasible with the inner two at the edges of the road. Set your sidelaps to basically match the width of the road.

I also have a question along the same line
What output do I get from the corridor flight?
Is is a video?

1 Like

Depends on what plan you are on.

I’m on individual lite.
What output will I get using corridor flight?

1 Like

Orthos (RGB and Elevation Color in either GeoTiff or JPG(non-georeferenced))
OBJ (Textured tri-mesh models)
Annotation Reports

Probably something I am forgetting but that’s the basics.

1 Like